How does a whole chicken last longer?

I've seen a lot of people say that buying a whole chicken for a larger family will last longer than buying breasts or other parts individually. I really just don't see how, all you get with a whole chicken is 2 breasts, 2 wings, and the thighs/legs. My family (especially my husband) could finish one off in one evening. I'm just curious because I am looking to save money and make meals last longer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The idea is to add things to the chicken to make it more filling. Use some to make chciken pie with veggies on the side, use some to make chicken and rice stew with veggies or some chicken and white bean chili. Yes, beans rice and pasta are good recipe extenders
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• ground turkey not a whole chicken
    gaurdianangels

Answer by gaurdianangels at 11:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Most families won't polish off a whole chicken in one meal. Then you'd remove extra meat from the carcass and use it in a casserole or stew. You can also boil the carcass and pick the little bits off the bones to get enough meat & broth to make chicken soup. I have a large family too (4 adults and 3 tweens) so we get HUGE chickens (8 to 10 lbs.) by raising them ourselves.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Dried beans and lentils are a healthy (and really cheap) way to stretch your grocery dollars.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2009