4 1/2 month old with fever

my dd had a fever of 100.1 last night b4 bed I gave her tylenol and she woke up at 12 45 with a temp of 102.2 gave her tylenol finally went down around 3 am at 630 she woke up and it was back at 102.1 I took her to the doc this am and they said she isnt sick jusk keep giving her tylenol. I gave her more at 1015 this am and checked her temp at 1115 and her temp is at 100.4. any other tips from other moms out there???? I am a first time mom

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try motrin
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Motrin is not ok for infants under 6 months - continue using tylenol every 4-6 hours and make sure to give the dosage based on your daughter's weight (I'm guessing you already are, but just in case...) You can also try putting her in a cool (not cold) bath for a little bit.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• my ds is 2months old and i gave him motrin, it does by weight not age, it was reccomended by my ped when tylenol wouldn't take his fever down, thank you very much
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If your Dr. said to do it, that's one thing - but it is not recommended for babies under 6 months - so unless you get an ok from from a Dr. (not a random mom online, including myself) that has seen your child and knows them, it's not a good idea.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I was going to say, call your dr and ask about motrin. I know they dont recommend it for kids under 6 mo but my daughter used it. She had a fever that went on for 2 days and about and hour before it was time for tylenol again the fever would return. The dr ended up telling me ot over lap meds. give her tylenol and then 3 hrs later giver her motrin. then 5 hrs after that giver her tylenol. That way there was no chance her fever would spike again. You must ask the dr thou, for dosage and if its ok to use. My daughter was just 5 mo at the time.
    LRMommyof2

Answer by LRMommyof2 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Quit with the Tylenol. Your baby's lil immune system is trying to kill the virus the baby has by raising the body temp. You are only prolonging the illness. That's not a high fever at all.
    :) Good luck.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I 2nd what Autumn22 said. If your baby is acting like its self with the fever there is no concern. You shouldnt be watching the fever but the child. I know the baby is still young and i'd still take his/her temp but its the bodies natural defense to raise the temp to kill of the bad bugs and by you lowering it. the bad bugs can multiply and cause the virus to last longer. Also i wouldnt put a baby or even a child in a cool bath. Try using loose fitting clothes and not to wrap up with blankets let the heat radiate off the body is better then making the child cold.

good luck! :)
    Sammieda

Answer by Sammieda at 2:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• While treating low-grade fevers is usually not a good idea, it is completely reasonable to use tylenol to bring down any fever over 100.4 - especially in young infants. Once fevers get that high, they can cause more harm than good. Unless a Dr. gives the ok, fevers this high should be treated.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2009