Worried about daughter's speech...too early to worry?

My daughter is almost 18 months and says lots of words and "babbles" sentences. She talks a lot so I am not worried about her talking in general, but I've noticed she doesn't tend to put ending consonants on words. Ball is just "ba" and things like that. Is this kind of normal for her age or should I be concerned? I already try to emphasize the right pronunciation of words she doesn't say right but don't know if there's anything else I should try to correct this.

RoniV

Asked by RoniV at 11:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're already right by emphasizing the correct way to speak, but right now she's doing just fine. My son went from barely talking (as far as correctly) to talking up a storm! For the most part he can pronounce everything just fine.

If you are concerned, I would suggest talking to her pediatrician about it, but it sounds like she's just fine. Some consonants are hard to say! So by her giving everything a name "Ba" for "ball", she sounds like she's right on track.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 11:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I think it's fine. My son is 18 months and doesn't come anywhere near saying sentences yet. I worry about him also cuz my older son has a speech delay, but I definately think you are doing the right thing. Just keep an eye/ ear out for it and if she does have a small speech problem, it's no big deal at all. I went through the public school system for my son and he is in a great pre-k program with speech therapy once a week. He absolutely loves it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• not yet- It's too early to worry
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2009