Need info on Netbooks-My 9 yr old dd wants one...(for Christmas)

My 9 yr old dd has been spending more time on the web. She has her own sites that she is into. Has anyone here purchashed one of the netbooks for kids? How do they work? Do you have to purchase an internet connection for the book? Parental controls Etc.??? I am just considering getting one for her for Christmas. I just want to know what we are getting ourselves into first!Lol! Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• a note book is basically a laptop that only gets internet access no programs or anything. You would have to have your house set up for wireless networking and parental controls would be a separate if they even have them for those I guess they would. You are looking at about 200 us dollars for one. I wouldn't get one for a child that young. If it gets tossed dropped or stepped on you are out 200 dollars.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 4:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I dunno much about them other than they are like little internet only laptops but I do know I personally wouldn't want my 9 year old to have access to the internet at all hours and possibly unattended. Parental controls aren't 100%.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Get her a regular laptop. You can use the wireless internet in your own home.You can set up parental controls and a program that tracks every keystroke your child makes. The only way your child will be safe on the interenet is to teach them what is appropriate and that if they get something that makes them uncomfortable, they tell an adult. My son is 13 and has had his own computer with internet access for about 4 years. There are parental controls and I have tried getting on certain websites and cannot. You set the rules and if your daughter doesn't follow them, the computer gets taken away for a certain amount of time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• a nine year old should maybe not be using the internet unsupervised so maybe get the family a laptop that can be carried to 'hotspots' or lay on your bed with you with. She could sit at the kitchen tale with it while you made dinner. But if it's the family computer there is no risk of her wanting to take 'her' computer to bed with her or over to her friends houses.
    Anonymous

• Netbooks are pretty much small laptops. They are very mobile and a great gift for a teenager or older child. (my 8 year old has one, she is very computer literate and uses it for games, reading e-comics and research for homework). The up side of a netbook is that they are usually a lot cheaper than a laptop, and if you get one with a solid state drive they are pretty indestructible. Dell has a very good line, as does hp. The Acer Aspire one is also pretty good and has a lot of storage room if your child uses an ipod and needs room for her iTunes songs. Of course you would need wireless, but that is simple, and only means hooking your modem up to a wireless router. Many providers though, offer modems that already are wireless capable. The netbook itself though is already internet ready. A good one runs around $250.00. It runs exactly the same as a regular computer and all controls are the same.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 10:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2009