Should I keep my child home from school with a low grade fever that comes and goes?

My 2nd grader has had a fever for about a week and a half...The highest it gets is 102...but it normally has been staying around 99.6 and 100.8...She can go a whole day with a low temp and then later at night or the next day she has a 102 fever and really bad headache then it goes down 100.? and stays there...and it's been doing this for over a week now...

She can't stay out of school forever...I've never dealt with a fever that has went on for this long before...But if I send her to school most likely I'll get a call to pick her up when it gets higher...

sourmom2

Asked by sourmom2 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Health

• If it's been a week, you probably need to call her pediatrician. She may have an infection of some kind. A week is too long to have a fever without getting it checked out.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• yeh she needs to stay home.. sounds like she is in the process of getting sick and if shes sick shell get others sick think about the other parents. and other kids that are getting sick. if sh ehas a fever in th emorning dont let her go.
    Butterflykiss15

Answer by Butterflykiss15 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My 6 yr old has been doing the same thing, he goes to the Dr today. Our 7 yr old had Strep last week after doing the same thing so I'm sure that's what our 6 yr old has... It's going around, just like everything else.. Take her to the Dr., having an infection for that long isn't good...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I called her Dr. the other day and he said that as long as she has no other symptoms that she is fine...But neither of my kids have ever had a fever that has done this for this long....

And I have been keeping her home...I only send her when her fever has been gone for 24 hours...I sent her to school yesterday because it was gone...but then around dinner it came back so she is home today....and tomorrow now too....i'm calling her dr back today...
    sourmom2

Answer by sourmom2 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• stay home, they will tell you to stay home even if its at 99.0 My son has had a fever coming and going for over a month now with a cough. I've taken him to 2 different docs 3 times! I took him to the ER last night because i'm just so fed up with it and they told me they thought it was bronchitis and gave me a stronger antibiotic...i really hope this knocks it out if its an infection.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i feel ya though, i have missed so much work bc of this
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i'd call and make an appointment, they don't know if she is sick or not if they don't see her
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If it's been going on this long you need to get her to a doctor.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• a fever should not stay for a week. even if there are no other symptoms. I am sorry, but your doctor should be a bit more aggressive. call him back and tell him you want to be seen. they should do some blood work and some urine.. dont' send to school when kids have fever they are contagious and their body is fighting something. so they are weeker. it is safer for every one all around for her to be away from other children and under your care.

Take her to that doctor.
    best wishes.
    proud2bmom3

Answer by proud2bmom3 at 12:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I say stay home too. My daughter had something similar in 2nd grade and would only get a fever at night, which is so weird. She had mono and ended up home or half days most of the month because she ended up so drug out and tired all the time. We did her work from home.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 12:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2009