4-h yay or nay?

my dd has the opportunity to join 4-h at shcool and she wants to but i dont know much about it and was hoping some of you may be able to give me some more info. Shes already in student council chorus enrichment/advanced classes girl scouts swimming and she will be starting childrens theater soon so i am curious if 4-h may be too mmuch for her (but knowing my child and how much she enjoys the challenges that comes with these extra curriculars it wouldnt be) I dont really know what they do and what may be required of her so any info you may have would be great!

elananme

Asked by elananme at 11:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in

• It depends on her viewpoint on eating animals...

Answer by rkoloms at 11:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• WE are meat eaters! and so is she!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 11:55 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• *sigh* here she goes again..... 4h isn't about eating animals you idiot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• this may help   http://4-h.org/

josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I was a 4-H member for 10 years, so if you have any questions feel free to message me with them. That being said, there are a large variety of available projects, although they vary depending on where you live. You should be able to look up the official website in your area to find out what projects are available. Typically it includes learning about the particular thing the project is based around, and then doing some sort of presentation, poster, etc. to present what they've learned, these projects are judged and ribbons awarded. In my 10 years I'd done Gift Wrapping, Horseless Project, I Showed Horses, and did Photography.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• oh i see you're in alabama too....the 4h here has alot to do with cattle so if she's into that then that might be fun, i remember showing cattle when i was in 4h lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• josiesmommu-
    She wants to be a vet so if it has anything to with animals im sure she will love it!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 12:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• 4-H has a reputation for being for farm kids, but it isn't just about farming. There are plenty of animal projects, of course, but there are also LOTS of projects that have nothing to do with animals or farming. My son was in 4-H for several years and I was in it when I was younger too. I did all the artsy/creative projects. My son did a variety of things - art, crafts, model building, gardening, food preparation & preservation, cake decorating, recycling, pocket pets, & more. The hardest part was narrowing down his options. He quit, however, because of all the busy work associated with many of the projects. He felt like he was spending so much of his time doing the busy work that he didn't get to focus on the actual projects. He decided not to join this year and just do the projects on his own. Around here, if you visit the extension office, they will let you look at the materials to help you decide if you want to join
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2009