4-h yay or nay? piog and pioc

my dd has the opportunity to join 4-h at shcool and she wants to but i dont know much about it and was hoping some of you may be able to give me some more info. Shes already in student council chorus enrichment/advanced classes girl scouts swimming and she will be starting childrens theater soon so i am curious if 4-h may be too mmuch for her (but knowing my child and how much she enjoys the challenges that comes with these extra curriculars it wouldnt be) I dont really know what they do and what may be required of her so any info you may have would be great!

elananme

Asked by elananme at 11:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• When I was in 4-H we had meeting about once a month I think. There were opportunities to do all sorts of projects on your own and compete in competitions. We did everything from cooking/food & nutrition and sewing to livestock. If you live in an area where 4-H is active there will likely be lots of fun opportunities. I'd find out why she wants to join (is her best friend doing it or is there some particular activity she wants to try) and what the obligations are in your area. If it's just a couple of hours a month it might not be too much, but if it's several hours per week it probably would be too much to add on top of everything else.
    Anonymous

• My friends sister is in 4-h, they had the opportunity to raise chickens. She raised chickens and took them to the county fair where they were sold. She made enough money to buy a lap top computer. What didn't sell at the fair, the school bought.

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 12:57 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• anon: she wants to join because she is ambitious, and she was told they have some animal projects and science based projects and she wants to be a vet. Plus she knows (at her ten years of age) that it will look good on college/scholarship applications.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 6:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2009