4-h yay or nay? piog and pioc

my dd has the opportunity to join 4-h at shcool and she wants to but i dont know much about it and was hoping some of you may be able to give me some more info. Shes already in student council chorus enrichment/advanced classes girl scouts swimming and she will be starting childrens theater soon so i am curious if 4-h may be too mmuch for her (but knowing my child and how much she enjoys the challenges that comes with these extra curriculars it wouldnt be) I dont really know what they do and what may be required of her so any info you may have would be great!

elananme

Asked by elananme at 11:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• i remember when i was in 4-h when i was younger. but all we did was activities we did a lot of exercises kept us going we even went hiking! very fun let her do it! it iwll keep her entertained i lived in roanoke,va around that time
    Butterflykiss15

Answer by Butterflykiss15 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Go to this site: http://4-h.org/ . It is a site sponsored by 4-H and run by some of its members. It gives the history, the mission, and all sorts of helpful information about 4-H. You can also ask to speak to the 4-H leaders about what is involved. If your daughter feels she can handle the extra work, I would say go for it. 4-H can provide her with many skills and opportunities that will be helpful later on in life.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I say go for it! I loved 4-H and stayed active all the way up through my late teens. I personally did not do the artsy crafty Susie Homemaker kinda stuff with 4-H, I was active with animals including cows, dairy goats, chickens, and horses. I loved it. Even got myself a blue ribbon with a dairy goat that I showed at the North Carolina State Fair. It was a good time and taught me a lot about life through caring for the animals and it also left me little time to find trouble, as so many of the others in school with me without these kinds of activities seemed to be finding.
    Anonymous

• A lot of it depends on what 4-H project she will take as to how much time she will have to invest and also how much money. A steer will take lots of time and money while a cooking project not as much. I've been involved in 4-H all my life first as a member and now as an advisor. Some parents don't realize how much time can be involved in some of the project or how much money. At the same time it is extremely rewarding and can really help a child grow.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My dd has done 4-H for three years now. It is a VERY positive orginazation. It is mainly for education. We live in a farming community and for some parents there is no question about doing it. My dd has done the Mini4-H. We sign up,choose from a list of activities to try-sewing,gardening even animals and send the forms to the extension office. Then in early spring you get these pamphlets in the mail that are educational and tell you how to do a project that your child can then display at the local 4-H fair. Third grade and up are grouped together by age and grade then they can recieve ribbons that I believe are judged by college students that are also 4-Hers. My dd has done posters and trained our dog to be shown. We have had a bunny at the fair. She also did horseback riding one year after a long summer of  english riding lessons. It's fun and educational but if your dd is already doing a lot,it may just be to much.

momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 6:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2009