H1N1 VACCINE! (time sensitive)

I am torn. I do not know what to do! My youngeset DD, whom is 3 months old, just got discharged from spending a week in Children's Hospital. We went to the doctor's today to have a check up after being in the hospital. My doc. said she was a confirmed case of the swine flu. He wants me DH and my oldest DD, whom is 2 years old to get the H1N1 vaccine. NOW! Since we have been in contact with someone who has had it, we are more likely to get it. I have heard good and BAD things about this vaccine. My oldest is a high risk group. I am confused. Doc. says if we want to avoid getting the H1N1 we need to get the shot ASAP! Anyone had the shot and then experience bad side effects???? Are you getting vaccinated?!!!

Ari0825

Asked by Ari0825 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Health

• We are if they ever get the vaccine here. I have not heard one bad thing yet. I have watched and read everything I can get near about it. The only bad things I've read are from people who are against vaccines and don't even get the seasonal flu shot. IMO, it's not worth the risk to children to not get it.
    Anonymous

• I thought the shot took 2 weeks to fully cover you so if you have already been exposed then I would think you would be less likely to get it.?.?.? HMM IDK good luck!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I would get vaccinated but as a healthy 33 year old, I am not eligible in my area. However, My 2 year old, 6 year old and 8 year old type one diabetic children all got vaccinated on Tuesday. No problems, no reaction.

Also my friend's 4 year old and 9 year old got them the same day as did another friends 14 year old, 10 year old and 8 year old asthmatic. None have had any reactions whatsoever. I believe these vaccines to be completely safe as we get the season flu shots every year and this is the same thing with a different strain.

As a side note, all of them got the nasal spray with the exception of my 8 year old diabetic and friends 8 year old asthmatic who both go injections.

If it were me, we'd be in line right now if we could, but you have to make that call.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 12:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Thats what I thought too, since we were already exposed to it, if we were to get it, wouldn't we already have it!?? He said since it is flu season, we would be MORE LIKELY//more supsectible to getting the swine flu. I don't know what to do. At all. Ugh!
    Ari0825

Answer by Ari0825 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Sorry, I made it sound like all my kids are diabetic but no just the oldest.

two weeks to fully cover, one week for incubation, at least of the virus, it might be close, but your body does start to fight immediately.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 12:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My daughter got the injection last Thursday and everything is fine. She has to get a second dose in 4 weeks.
    tinaaly

Answer by tinaaly at 12:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I don't think the shot would have time to work. I would have you and your child get a rx of tamiflu and at the first sign of any symptoms take it. Of course none of you should go out of the house.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I would listen to your dr.

I'm 8 months pregnant and pleading for the H1N1 vaccine, but we don't have it any where within driving distance of me yet.

If it's available in your area, then count yourself lucky and get the family vaccinated to protect your baby.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I am not, and I'm in a high risk group. Pregnant.
    Try preventing it naturally. I take 2000IUs of Vit D daily (my children, ages 2 and 5 get 1000IUs), I give them Echinacha and Elderberry tea... we drink lots of orange juice.
    Here, go here to study up on the h1n1 vaccine.
    http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/H1N1-SWINE-FLU.aspx
    www.mercola.com
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If you're going to catch it from the baby, you'd already be sick. By the time it's a confirmed case, the patient is better (as you have seen).

You can get it but it's not going to help you NOW. It's going to kick in about a week or so from now and THEN offer protection.

You're already exposed and already spreading it (basically you're a carrier)
    Anonymous