Thyroid/Medicaid

got off phone with dr office. thyroid test came back abnormal
she called me in a RX but idk if i'll be able to get it
all my medicaid covers is gyno stuff, "family planning"
Does anyone take thyroid med? How much is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Health

• I don't know what kind of Medicaid you would have that only covers 'gyno stuff'. Most Medicaid gives you a primary doctor and covers a list of medications that would include thyroid medication. You don't say if yours is high or low. There is a big difference in treatment. The thyroid meds my DIL is on is very cheap and covered by Medicaid. If you know the name of the med you can go online or call a drug store and find out how much it costs.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• You don't say if yours is high or low.

They ddnt say, the nurse just called and told me it was abnormal, she would call in a RX and I'd need to make an appt in a month to recheck my levels.

I'm assuming its low.
    Anonymous

• The medication for low thyroid is levothyroxine and it's on WalMart's $4 drug program list. Can't get much cheaper then that.

http://i.walmart.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/genericdruglist.pdf
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I take levothyroxine for low thyroid (hypothyroidism). It's about $13 for a 30 day supply (at Rite Aid).
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• It depends on what you are taking. I don't have a thyroid (which obviously would make me have no levels at all which without meds would be like having hypothyroidism) and I take Levoxyl. With insurance I pay $10 a month. There are generic brands at Wal Greens and Wal Mart and they cost about $4 or so I believe. I can't take the generic, it doesn't work as well as the Levoxyl for me.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 2:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• The cost was so low the insurance would not pay it. I just found a way to get back to normal and now my thyroid is OK last test.    

http://www.womentowomen.com/programs/hormonalimbalance/thyroidhealth.aspx?id=1&campaignno=thyroid&adgroup=ag17natural&keywords=natural+thyroid+cures

See if this helps you

Anonymous

• Anonymous

• Hey, just want to let you know, you cannot NOT get this medicine. You cannot NOT take it. If you do not take it the risks of hypothyroidism effects to your body and your heart are great. Search untreated or complications of hypothyroidism.
    It isn't very expensive and you will have to take it the rest of your life.
    Anonymous