I can't believe it's been 2 months since I had her.... vaccine question

I'm taking my daughter for her 2 month vaccine shots.... I'm going to give her tylenol before to help out but what are some other things I can expect. Does anyone know how many shots there will be? Any tips or tricks in case it's difficult for her? I don't want to hear from any of the ppl who are against vaccines and are just going to try and tell me not to... that has nothing to do with the question.

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 12:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was just asking ab this earlier because I have to take my son in for his 2 month shots next week. I was told one in each leg and then the one in the mouth. From what I was told how many the baby gets will depend on if he or she was given the Hep B vaccine after birth (my son was given the vaccine either 12 or 24 hours after). If the vaccine for polio is now intertwined with the hep b like one of the other moms stated then that would mean there are only 2 (Hib and Pneumococcal) shots to be given plus the oral of course. I plan on giving tylenol right after the shots, but I will have his passie ready! Good Luck!
    TrystansMom314

Answer by TrystansMom314 at 1:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Afterwards, be sure to exercise her legs. Keep the muscles moving. When they stiffen up that's when they hurt worse after the shots. (the leg hurts, so they don't move it as much)

Either a cold or warm wash cloth on the injection site if it is bothering her. (which ever one she prefers...I had one each LOL)

I gave Tylenol every 4 hours for the first 24 hours. (per my pediatrician) I didn't wake them up for a dose, but if they were awake, I gave it. I actually made it 4 1/2 hours so I didn't give too much.

I don't remember how many total, but I know they had at least one in each leg...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If you are breastfeeding you can ask to breastfeed during the shot or do so right after. You can give her a pacifier during if bottle fed. Make sure they write down the arm they give each shot in so if there is a reaction you will know which shot it is to.

Here is a copy of the 2009 Immunization Schedule

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/2009/09_0-6yrs_schedule_pr.pdf
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Nope just the tylenol and massge the area if she seems to be in discomfort. Watch for high fever. Your pediatrician will tell you how high it should be to warrant a call. Fever after shots is a good thing, but not if it gets too high. I found it helpful to nurse/feed the baby either during or shortly after. Don't remember exactly how many she will get two or three. Theywill explain all this to you when you go in. Try to be calm your self if your anxious/nervous baby will pick up on it andbecome so herself. Good luck!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Oh and they SHOULD do the shot in the leg not the arm, but do make sure they note which one goes where.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• 4 shots, one oral vaccine.....i agree with pp in the tylenol thing and exercising her legs
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• You shouldn't give Tylenol beforehand. It could mask a serious adverse reaction.
    I'm not going to tell you not to vaccinate... but have you considered spreading them out? 4 shots in one day and an oral vaccine...which I'm assuming is a live virus? Don't you think that's a lot? Naturally, our body is designed to fight off one of these illnesses one at a time. Not ALL of those at once.
    www.nvic.org
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I believe you should NOT give tylenol prior to the visit. They should check her for any signs of illness or fever before administering the shots, and tylenol can mask an illness or fever. It's fine to give afterwords, but I'd go in without any meds.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I agree, do not give the tylenol before the appt. They will check for a fever and such. If she has one they don't want to give the shots. My doctor lets me give my kids the tylenol after they take their temperature but before the shots. She may only get three shots. We just had the two month shots this morning. At my doctor's office the DTaP, polio and now Hep B is all one shot. She will also get a Hib shot and the Pneumococcal shot. She will also get the oral rotavirus vaccine. I only had my daughter get the last two shots I mentioned and the oral one. I split them up (she is going next month for the other shot) I have noticed with my other kids if I just split them up a little and not get so many at a time they really don't get fevers and are a lot less cranky. Just an idea.
    Anonymous

• My daughter got three shots, one in one leg, two in the other and then the oral vaccine. I breast feed, so I nursed her right after and she settled down pretty quickly. I read on Babycenter.com about a study concerning Tylenol usage and vaccines and it said that when Tylenol is given the children don't have as many antibodies as the children that weren't given Tylenol. So I did have it on hand, but I was only going to use it as a last resort. I figured I would try stripping her down and applying a cool wash cloth or giving her a lukewarm bath first. My daughter ended up not getting a fever, though. About four hours after the shots, she cried at 30 second intervals for about an hour and then took another long nap and was back to normal when she woke up again.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2009