At what age did you switch from infant car seat to front facing toddler seat?

Or did you get a rear facing toddler seat?Also if your kid is old enough to be out of a car seat, how old were they when they first started sitting in a seat belt only?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am a huge advocate for extended RF and extended harnessing. My son just turned 2 and is still RF and I have no plans to move him anytime soon. My dd's are 4 and 5 and both of them RF til my oldest was 3 and my younger dd was 3.5 years old. Both girls are still harnessed, my 4 yr old is in a toddler convertible still because she still fits in it and my oldest, who is 5 is harnessed as well in a high back booster and stay harnessed til she is 65 lbs. A child is 5 times safer harnessed and even more safe RF.
    Anonymous

• This question is going to open a huge can of worms.

I put my kids forward facing at a year old.
    Anonymous

• With my daughter, she went from infant seat to RF convertible at 5mos, and to FF seat at 1 yr. With my son, I knew more, he moved from infant seat to RF convertible around a year, and remains in that now at 26 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• with my firsti swithched my dd whn she hit 1 yr and i regret it,. when she was 26 mts i swithcedher back to rear facing and pman on keeping her that way till she reaches the maximum for her chiar. as for ds. i bought him a chair that rear faces uo to 40 lbs and i plna to ERF with both
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My kids grew out of their infant carriers at 6 months ~ no joke! (They were biiiiiiig babies ~ and are still big for their ages!) They were forward-facing by 9 months. Never been in a car accident with either. You know... you just do what you think is best for your kids, that's all. Now both boys are in booster seats ONLY, and oldest is nearing the time when he'll be just in a seatbelt (I'm trying to extend it a bit because once HE'S in just a seatbelt, youngest will want to be too ~ ughh!!)
    hisemma

Answer by hisemma at 1:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We switched from an infant seat to a convertible seat rear facing around 10 or 11 months with both of mine. My DD was turned forward at a year and 20 pounds. I then learned how unsafe it is, so I turned her back around until she was almost 2. Then we turned her around. My son was rear facing until he was 25 months.

Now they are both forward facing, my daughter is 4 and is still in a 5 point harness. In a year or two, we'll move her to a booster.

Most states have laws that a chld has to be in a booster until they are 8 I believe.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son moved from an infant carrier to a rear facing convertible car seat at 5 months. He is almost 16 months and still Rear Facing. We are going to keep him Rear Facing as long as possible. We have a car seat that rear faces to 45lbs. He won't be in just a seat belt for a very long time.

The Absolute minimum for most states is

Rear Facing until 1 year of age AND 20lbs.

Forward facing in a Harness to 4 AND 40lbs.

In a booster seat to 8 AND 80lbs.

Your child MUST meet BOTH requirements to be the legal minimum.

You should join a car seat safety group, you can get so much more information.

Try Car Seat Safety

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• A lot of people don't know that there are convertible car seats that are designed for infants who have outgrown the carrier car seat but are still to small to face forward because they are under a year AND 20 pounds. So some people go from the carrier straight to forward facing. My oldest outgrew the carrier at 5 months. He went into a convertible and was turned forward facing at a year and he weighed 27 pounds. He is still in a harness at 3 1/2 years and 38 pounds and will stay in the harness for awhile, as it goes to 65 pounds. My youngest outgrew the carrier at 5 months also and is still rear facing in his convertible seat at 15 months. I learned about extended rear facing. He is 24 pounds and 32 inches tall. I considered turning him, but with the seat I have it can't be used forward facing until he is 34 inches tall. I've reconsidered it, since he knows no different and it is most definitely safer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I switched out of the infant carrier before 6 months and put my son rear facing into a convertible seat. He's almost 20 months old now and still rear facing in a True Fit and a Radian XT. He should be able to stay rear facing until he is 3, maybe 4. His seats can forward face harnessed to 65 lbs and 80 lbs. He'll be in a booster after than until he can pass the seat belt fit test and has the maturity to sit properly in just a seat belt.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 7:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2009