How Do I Help My 6 Year old Son Have Neater Handwriting?

Are there any special booklets or programs that can help him? I believe it is just because he is still young and, yes he is a boy. Do any of you Mom's out there have some advice? Thank You.

BrandonsMom1000

Asked by BrandonsMom1000 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is because he is still young in part. There are things you can do to help. Make sure he holds the pencil in a way that is comfortable and that he has a chance of writing well. Use the fat pencils. You can get them at office supply stores. I have arthritis and use them.

In printing you pretty much only need to know how to write a straight line and a circle. Have him practice that until he gets good at that. Have him practice in other things like in dirt with a stick, in jello fresh out of the box on the counter with his finger, with finger paints ect. Make him an expert circle and stick writer.

Then work on easy circle letters like a, c, e. He should have an ah ha! empowering experience. I can write! Then go to letters a little harder. Build on his experience.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My 9 year old son had HORRIBLE handwriting, and still does when he prints. It was because he had poor fine motor control when he was younger and even after his muscles strengthened, it was just messy. But, now that he's learning cursive it is beautiful and his teacher comments that it is the prettiest cursive she has ever seen. He doesn't especially like to do it because it takes him longer - the fact that he has to THINK about the letters slows him down enough for him to concentrate on correctly forming the letters. So - if you could think of a way to slow down his writing it might help!

Answer by missanc at 3:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Thanks for the help, he does tend to write really fast and not think about what he is doing.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Handwriting without Tears. Check out their website. Also, he just needs to practice and slow down. Don't forget that some people just have horrible handwriting and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Thanks I will check that site out.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2009