Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it true that low income mothers can get paid to go to shcool?

I don't know much about any of this but a freind told be that I should go back to school and I could get paid to do it.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (11)
  • Um, I hope not. I know they wil pay for a teacher'sdegree but you have to be a teacher at a low income school.

    Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • You can look for scholarships here:


    Answer by rkoloms at 1:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • Yes, you can get paid to go to school. My SO is doing it right now. He gets financial aid(which pays for books and tuition) but there is always about $600 left of it. Plus he gets grants, about $4000 a semester. and he is on the work program which pays minimum wage to go to school, but he has to do 10 hours a week in paper work at one of the school office(still well worth it) so really he does pretty good. Way better than he would do at a regular minimum wage job. I think if you are thinking of going back to school do it. Also we don't use it but there is also a program where they pay child care while you are at school. So you could keep all the money you get for bill etc. I say GO FOR IT MOMMA!


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • Every state sets their own programs according to what they are able to budget.
    When I lived in ME and found myself suddenly a single mom of 3 children and no job skills, a state program paid for my tuition and fees for a 2 year Associate's degree, provided me with a clothing allowance for work clothes, and paid for my childcare needs.
    It was extremely helpful and I was extremely grateful - I will never, ever forget the best opportunity provided to me in my life.
    That Associate's degree provided me with a very good income for many years in a career I love and I have been able to develop my skills beyond it. In fact, I am currently working on my Bachelor's degree in a program that can be related to my original career, which I will never leave.
    I think the program name was PaS (Parents as Scholars). That was back in 1999. I don't know if it is still available.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • I didn't get any 'income' from it directly and I still did a LOT of volunteer work for my oldest child's elementary school, my second child's Head Start, and for my college's clubs.
    We lived in a crappy apt, had no decent clothes, received no child support, and yet we were extremely well-rounded and happy.
    I believe that the states that can afford to budget these types of programs for parents who are serious about a career and to continue working afterwards, makes it all worthwhile and wonderful.
    Teaching a parent who has been dependent upon another person to suddenly become independent and provide them the skills to succeed in life is the best thing that can be done for that person and their child(ren). ♥

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • You can get grants and then job and family services will pay for your child care while you go.
    I've done it :)

    Answer by Autumn22 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • I live in Tennessee.....thanks for the help

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • Definitely check with the school you would like to go to...they can provide a ton of information. I lived across the street from a girl with 3 kids who wanted to go back to school and she qualified for grants that would pay her tuition and then the school told her about a program where they cover the babysitting cost while the mother is in school.

    Answer by kayleighsmom529 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • I'm doing it. contact the college you want to go to, fill out your FAFSA and apply for sholarships. you won't get paid ( unless you get a work./study job) but you will get your classes & books paid for and maybe have some felt over. good luck!

    Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • Tennessee is one of the best states to give you money for everything. Free college, health and dental, food, cell phone, housing, child care, etc.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.