Scared of the Dark??

So my son is now two and a half years old. We've always lived out of town, and I've always liked my bedroom as dark as possible. My son has never had a problem with this until about three weeks ago. He won't go into the bedroom if the light is off, and all he'll say is scared... I'll walk him through holding his hand telling him there isn't anything to be scared of, but he won't go through by hisself. I don't understand this sudden change. Has any of your children went through this? I don't push him. I actually got a nightlight, which really helped. But only in the bedroom. Before he'd run into the dark kitchen and open the fridge to get his juice ( I keep juice boxes in the door), but if the light isn't on he won't even go in there... Should I just accept it that he's afraid of the dark, or is there some way I can help him overcome it? Just looking for advice, no bashing please....

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 1:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's just a kid thing. Maybe he saw something on TV about a kid who is afraid of the dark, or another family member said something to him. To try and avoid this problem with my son, who is only 13 months, I already have one of those rotating lights. It's a fish tank and the fish go around and around. I use it more now as a calming device, to help sooth him on those nights he just doesn't want to sleep. Maybe your son can fall asleep better with something like that. Make it out to be like a super power light or something. "monsters can't come into rooms with blue lights" or something like that. One thing to remember, is that all kids are eventually afraid of the dark, weren't you? He will eventually out grow it, I'm sure.

Jewels9308

Answer by Jewels9308 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son doesn't like the dark either- so I got him rope lights and a lava lamp. He loves it! He watches the rope lights flashing and the lava lamp changing colors. I think it's something all children will go through. Just make it a little easier on him- my grandma had a night light in every room of the house when I was a child!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2009