Am I the only mom that thinks it's rude to throw away your kid's halloween candy they got from trick or treating?

Why pass out candy if it's only going to be thrown away? How rude! I buy the good candy-snickers, reeses, etc, and some mom is going to just chuck it in the trash!

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• To me, throwing away perfectly good candy is like going to a food pantry, helping yourself to the free food, then tossing it in the trash on your way out the door. It's a waste of someone else's money. A total waste. If you aren't going to give the candy to your children, then DON'T TAKE IT.
    It may seem like just a little piece of candy to you, but to the people who hand out that candy, it represents a portion of their monthly budget that they generously alloted towards giving YOUR child a Halloween treat. Maybe if you look at it that way, you'd stop being so snobby and self-righteous.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I never throw away candy! I let them have a bit here & there, but I munch on it too. ^_^ Plus now they have the "candy buy back" program for the troops! No need to throw away perfectly good candy. :)
    hisemma

Answer by hisemma at 1:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• How do you know its getting thrown away? I check all my kids candy and, sorry, if it doesnt look right I will toss it.
    Anonymous

• I also think it would be rude to take your kids out trick-or-treating just to throw the candy away. I just make sure to check each piece before the kids eat it. I know there are crazy people out there. But the majority of people are just looking to give kids candy.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Well your "good stuff" would get re-gifted in my house because my allergic child couldn't have it. We'd "buy" the snickers and peanut butter cups with safe candy and give someone else her payment bars/cups.

That said, we don't go to very many houses. People sometimes give multiple pieces to each kid. When it sits in my house through Thanksgiving - it's gone. They eat some and get tired of it. They like trick-or-treating. They like the treats. They just don't finish them all.
    Anonymous

• OP

I was reading another question and some mom says she throws away her kids trick or treat candy. She said that most people she knew did the same thing, which is why I decided to ask my question.
    Anonymous

• I know some who do that. I throw out the messed up packages. I regift some to grandparents.
    Anonymous

• I don't keep candy that was made in China or something... like those little crabby patty things.
    I plan on ditching most of it and replacing it with organic candy.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We do end up throwing a good bit away. If it looks bad, then we pitch it. My kids are allowed to have a little and the rest gets sent to work with daddy. We don't go to very many houses anyway, so they don't get an extreme amount.
    Anonymous

• No I don't considering I am the poster whose reply you are talking about. Trick or treating is fun for the kids and it's about dressing up. If you want to spend a fortune on candy that's your business but there are quitee a few parents who toss it all and replace it with candy they approve of, that ttheir children will eat and that they KNOW is safe. Halloween for my kids is about dressing up and having fun. ALL of my friends (and there's a group of 15 families that go out together) toss the candy and replace it. All of the parents in my MOPS and MOTS groups do it (and that's about 70 families all together). You'd be surprised at how many parents do. All that candy you are buying is ending up trashed and replaced by at least 1/2 of the people coming to your house.
    Anonymous