breatfeeding question

for moms who bf and pump, why do you pump? im a sahm so i feel i dont need to pump, should i? also my baby is 1 month old

newmom092009

Asked by newmom092009 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, I started pumping around 4-5 weeks...that way DH could give a bottle in a pinch... if you bank some breastmilk it gives you the freedom to go out for a few hours and not be the only food source for baby, kwim? I went back to work part time when both my kids were 12 weeks, so I pumped for that, obviously...but again, even if you don't work, there will inevitably be a time when you'd like to be away from the baby for a few hours.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• if you wont ever be away from baby then there is no need... i never pumped for my last 2 children and bf until they were each 13 mo's :)..... currently bfing our last (7 mo) and don't even own a pump this time around ... it's up to you...
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If i was a SAHM i would only be pumping for my toddler not for the baby but since i work i pump for both of them, for the baby to take to daycare and for my toddler to drink at home!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I pump because I work full time... I pump five times a day... every two hours. She has to eat something at the sitter's the next day! i still pump in the am on weekends so she has extra just in case!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I too am a sahm and I have a freezer full so I'm currently not pumping, but its nice to have if there is an emergency or something. also mil likes to take dd sometimes so I thaw what's pumped and send it. plus we do a lot of family outings and I know others like to feed her as well so if I'm not feeling engorged (or if I brought my pump) I give someone else a turn.
    Anonymous

• no need if you're not going to be away from baby...
    yamdankypita

Answer by yamdankypita at 5:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• oh, and learn your state laws. no need to bottle feed in public. nurse your baby wherever you go. and really, you don't have to pump to let others feed if you don't want to. join the group called Proud Public Breastfeeders... there's a lot of support there for moms that NIP and don't use a cover. ;)
    yamdankypita

Answer by yamdankypita at 5:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• pumping encourages others to help to be honest my mom helps more then my hubby does and my mother in law is jujst different so i dont pump they help in other ways ike feeding him and my mom was my right hand for praticuly the first 4months and now i live with my hubby
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I've only pumped a few times and I keep meaning to do it more often, but then I never do. I do stay home, though, so I really don't need to. I just want some on hand, just in case, for whatever reason, my husband had to feed her.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• momma05, if you want them to help, point 'em to the laundry! **smile** If they are "helping" by holding the baby while you do chores, they're not really helping. But if you're getting a nap, not a bad deal!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2009