How can I be more assertive with my dad when it comes to babysitting my son?

I'm glad that my dad is a free and very available babysitter for his grandson, but there are a few things he does that we do not like. First, he watches TV all day and our son is only allowed to watch a maximum of one hour per day. Second, he allows him to suck on his pacifier whenever he wants and we only allow the binkie for nap and bed time. (Yes, my son is 2 with a binkie for sleeping. Take those critiques elsewhere!) What would you say to your father to make your point clear but not to sound bitchy or picky? Anyone have a similar experience?

jacobsmom707

Asked by jacobsmom707 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• I KIND of agree with the first answer, it's not just about money, I mean sometimes grandparents are just that way, NO body is going to parent exactly like you do, as long as he is not getting hurt or anything, i'd pick your battles. Maybe suggest places they could go, give them a little extra money (places to get out of the house), bring toys (try to bring specifically OUTDOOR toys) over (most places that don't have children living there aren't very kid friendly) etc.
    Anonymous

• You get what you pay for. Your Dad is nice enough to watch your kid for free. I don't see any real problems here. It's not like he's taking him out on beer or drug runs.
    Anonymous

• I wish I knew. I can't even get my MIL to understand that my son won't eat supper when she gives him ice cream and candy all afternoon. That actually surprises her. I feel your pain. All I can suggest is a candid but gentle talk with him if he's the kind of person who can handle it and won't get angry right off.
    Anonymous

• Really, just because he is watching his grandchild for free doesn't mean there are no rules. And plenty of people who charge are horrible to the children so money isn't really a factor.
    Anonymous

• Hey Cortney! Ya know I luv ya...but....I kinda have to agree with one of the previous answers here...you do get what you pay for. And in this case...be glad that your dad loves you guys enough to want to be there for you like this! My mom was always to "busy" with her own life to be too much of a grandma. I don't think it will harm your little guy that grandad lets him watch too much TV, but I do see that the pacifier thing could be an issue. Maybe you could get some wooden puzzles, or coloring stuff or playdoe....I dunno, something that your dad can do with Jakob besides TV...but if grandpa doesnt want to change, there is not much you can do about it....
    jlm202610

Answer by jlm202610 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2009