Is it ok to give her yogurt juice?

My little Laura is 5 1/2 months old, is it ok to let her have the gerber yogurt juice? She is BFed and this will be the first intorduction of another food. She's been having tummy trouble due to a virus and is having diarrhea, I know that yogurt has the good bacteria to help her balance out again, and will help rehydrate her more quickly than BFing alone.

HotMessMama

Asked by HotMessMama at 1:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't give her that yet. I would just stick with the breastfeeding, it's will be the gentlest on her tummy.
    The yogurt juice tends to have multiple fruits in it (even if it only says one on the lable)... and you want to stick to 1 new thing at a time... and introducing a new food while sick isn't a good idea... you wouldn't know if she was having a reaction because of the new food or because of the virus.
    If you feel she needs more fluids try a little of the plain pedialyte.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• id say try it. just a little at a time to see how she handels it, trust your gut. gl
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• First of all you should be speaking to your doctor.

No, I would not introduce a new food when she still has a stomach bug. If she starts having trouble you have no way to know if it's the food or her illness! That's common sense!

And the same goes for giving pedialyte or gatorade or anything....never had it before, don't give it when there's a stomach bug!!! Not to mention the sugar in them makes diarrhea WORSE!
    Anonymous

• I think that its a bit young, and yogurt as a first food/drink isn't the greatest idea. If you are adamant about giving her yogurt, I'd go with plain, whole milk yogurt, from a spoon rather then a juice blend. But know that you can purchase probiotic supplements and use those instead.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• to be honest it dosent hurt i bf and i give my son almost ne and everything although i watch him very carefully with everything i started him off with other things first like ceral and number1 foods just for taste and the sacke of food and later feedings
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2009