How do I cure my daughters acid reflux

She is 2 months old and we have tried everything. We have switched her formula 3 times and is now on a hypoallergenic formula she has been on for a week-which was about how long the doctor said it would take before getting the full effect. She has been on zantac which did not work after a few weeks and is now on prevacid. She still seems to be having probs. The pediatrician wants to refer her to a GI doctor, but I want to see if there is anything else I can do. Any tricks or over the counter rememdies, because going to a specialist can get expensive. Please any advice will help. Thanks!

brandidy56

Asked by brandidy56 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For most babies they will continue to have reflux until they outgrow it... but hopefully not as bad.
    You're probably doing these things already.... but small frequent feedings, burp often, special bottles to reduce gas, keep her upright for at least 30 mins after eating, sleep at an incline
    and altough it goes against all SIDS research... sometimes very reflux kids need to sleep on their tummy. (talk to your pediatrican about the risks and benefits of this)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I know that the regular pedi didn't prescribe meds for my son, and we went to the GI, who did. How long on the Prevacid? It may take a few weeks to fully work. IDK if it's an option for you, but breastmilk soothes the burn, so nursing, or pumping might help. 2 months post partum, you could get a supply if you worked at it. But it might not be an option for your family. Just a suggestion.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Go see the specialist. What is being done now isn't helping, the pediatrician admits it's time to see a specialist, why make the baby go through it any longer than she has to because you don't want to see the specialist?

As for expensive....been there, done that. Kids are not cheap.
    Anonymous

• I would take her to the GI, there really is no cure, if everything you are doing isn't working, take her to the specialist. And I agree with the tummy sleeping, both my kidswere tummy babies, and they are 16 and 10 now. My youngest had reflux and would scream bloody murder if she were on her back.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2009