Why do people try to have relationships with alcoholics?

Seriously. They don't love themselves. How can you possibly think they would be able to love you. I speak from experience. Both my parents were alcoholics and couldn't even manage to love their own children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't think its necessarily a matter of not loving, its more of a matter that drinking is more important and the illusion that you can do both and be fine. My mom is and alcoholic and always has been. I can't get her to stop drinking for two nights (only 2 hours) out of the week to babysit my daughter while I go to school. Its not that she doesn't love my child its just that drinking is more important. She also has a soon-to-be-husband that does it too so that just encourages her.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• you can't help who you fall in love with. my SO has a problem, he will go to the bar like 3 nights a week, he says he can stop, but i know he likes to drink b/c of his stress. but he only has one beer whenhe goes out, he dosn't get drunk anymore, thankd to our 1 month old daughter. i fell in love with him not knowing his lil problem. i mean if your son or daughter became a drug addict or alcholic, would you stop loving them, no!
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2009