My daughter who's in the 2nd grade was sent home today because of lice..what should I do?

Do certain places cause lice ,why do you think some kids don't get it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Lice likes clean heads...less oil so they can cling easier. they do not jump but crawl really quick...they have 3 stages of life you you must treat 3 times (at the right time) to get them all. As for bedding, wash everything, pillows you can put into a garbage bag until they die (several days) as they need a host to live off of. Lice is a clean people thing, not a dirty...and lice do not carry any type of disease other than being a pest.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Lice is a clean people thing, not a dirty...

Since when? I have NEVER heard that ever! I always thought it was dirty kids. Not to say OP that your child is dirty but I have never heard that.
    Anonymous

• There is a lice shampoo called RID (?) that will kill the lice, you will then have to use a fine comb to get all of the nits out of their hair to prevent reinfection. Make sure to wash EVERYTHING in hot water to kill any additional nits or eggs.
    It is a long tedious process but unless it is done thoroughly your kids will keep getting reinfected.
    My daughters girls scout leader had lice in their home which subsequently infected all of the girls in the troop. The leader had lice in their carpet, furniture, etc so it was very very difficult for them to get rid of it all. (they had a nice home otherwise)
    Jennifer-Momof4

Answer by Jennifer-Momof4 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I first saw it in Parent's magazine but have also found other sites that say this.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/113691/how_to_rid_your_childs_hair_and_your.html?cat=25

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• get the shampoo and wash her hair, then.... soke her head with white viniger, the lice lay eggs with a sticky "glue" to the hair shaft, the egg has a breathing hole in it so you want to sufficate them, the glue will be cut by the viniger, the egg when dead will show up white... a black light makes them show up good, you will need to pick the dead egg out wash everything bedding and pillows, then if you have big blankets, stuffed animals that can not be washed put them in a plastic bag for about a month to kill off the lice... good luck ... it just is one of those things and FYI the lice only like clean hair... their glue will not stick to the oil of unwashed hair
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 1:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Lice is not a "dirty kid" problem. Anyone can get lice, and they do prefer cleaner hair.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Walmart carries a brand called LiceMD. It is nontoxic. It is a one step process. Check her head daily. You also need to get the furniture spray and spray all furniture, mattresses & carpet. Vaccuum everything.

I have 5 people in my house. I have 1 child that gets lice. She has thick dry hair. The rest of us have thin oily hair. Lice is not a dirty kid problem or a farm kid problem. It happens.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• also to add to what the other ladies said.always have her wear some type of hair product. (hair spray,gel,mousse) etc. lice like clean hair. if there is product in the hair it will be too slippery/oily to grasp on. i always have hair spray in my dd's hair.goodluck
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2009