My 17 month old won't sleep in anything but an enclosed space like a crib or a playpen....is this normal?

ladybuglane

Asked by ladybuglane at 1:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did the same thing around 17 months. I had a terrible time trying to get her to stay asleep in a crib, so we moved her into a toddler bed. We moved everything (and I mean everything) out of her room except her bed and dresser. It worked! She loves her bed and we have slowly moved her toys and stuff back into the room. :) They say you shouldn't move them out that young, but you know your child and what is best for them.
    kayleighsmom529

Answer by kayleighsmom529 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• It's probably about feeling safe and secure. Why are you trying to get him/her to sleep anywhere else? Is he/she tall and trying to climb out of the crib?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My daughter just turned 1 today and she is the same way the only place she will go to sleep is a playpen or crib to so when I stay at my moms or something I make to take a playpen or something. Its normal If thats the only place they have always slept.
    Anonymous

• I "think" my son is the same way. I have actually tried to get him to sleep with me when he was sick or just once cause I wanted to cuddle and he just tossed and turns and flips with extra room or cause he can't get comfy with someone. he has SO many little blankets and animals he HAS to sleep wtih that he's running out of room in his crib but I am terrified to move him to a toddler bed.. ugh.. he's 23-1/2 months old
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• maxsmom11807: That made me giggle a little bit. He'll probably do what my son did and fill up any extra space with the stuffed animals that didn't fit in the crib.

Vincent is very particular with where he sleeps. When we first introduced the toddler bed, he was still sleeping in the crib and wasn't about to change his mind on that. We had the toddler bed in his room for probably four months before he slept on it during the day. The whole transition was probably about six months. If we're not home though, he still won't sleep anywhere but the pack 'n play. They like what they like. :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 10:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2009