Is there anything I can do to get through terrible 2's any easier?

My 2 year old daughter is driving me crazy. She dont listen to anything I say. She is constantly getting into things that she doesnt need to be messing with. I am really desperate. I seriously need some help with this one.

merciesmommy

Asked by merciesmommy at 1:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep in mind that a 2 year old lacks the impulse control to stop herself from doing something that looks really, really intriguing. Even you've told her a million times not to touch something, she isn't necessarily developmentally capable of holding back. Sometimes understanding *why* your toddler isn't listening can help you respond to her. If you've told a million and one times, tell her a million and one. It *will* sink in, it's just going to take a while. Be patient. Be firm. Correct and redirect. If she goes back, correct and redirect again. Be firm. Be consistent.

And honestly, terrible 2s had nothing on the tyrannical 3s...or the...well the point is, the older they get and the farther they try to push their boundaries. Figure out now how to control YOUR responses in a way to impact her not just frustrate you. It's a long road from here out but VERY worth it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• deal with it- they are much easier to cope with than the terrible teens!- REALLY. It will go by quick and when you say no mean No. count to 10 before responding and take a break away from kids once in a while.
    Good luck
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Repetition, consistency, discipline and patience.
    Anonymous

• Patience is the key...I feel like I do nothing but repeat myself, but she eventually listens. I have also found that when she goes into a screaming fit or just wants to cry and fuss...I simply say "Mommy loves you and will play with you when you are finished." Then I ignore her until she stops. I still pay attention to what she is doing, but I completely ignore her. She soon realizes she isn't going to get attention, stands up and says "I'm done now...I'm alright". Just take it in stride and smile.
    kayleighsmom529

Answer by kayleighsmom529 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• my three year old has very recently hit the whole terrible twos thing.it is hard and every child is different. my 7 year old did some crazy things when she hit this stage. she ruined carpet with a basket full of makeup, she painted her bedroom wall with the contents of her diaper, she threw fits in stores. you have to be firm......all the time no matter how badly you just want to let in slide sometimes, dont. be consistant, make sure she knows what punishment to expect for each thing she does wrong. and i cant stress this one enough.....dont overlook the good things she does, the more praise she gets for doing right, the more right she will want to do. and also probably the most important thing is dont show her your frustration. you have to be calm or she may respond with a fit, at that age kids are so tuned into emotions that if they see you becoming angry they respond with things that will frustrate you more. good luck!!!!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• omg thank u all.. all ur answers made a lot of since.. i am definitely going to put everything into consideration.. after all its a lot better than the way ive been going about this.. she doesnt reapond to standing in the corner for 2 minutes or any form of a time out.. i dont like to spank but here recently she has really been testing that.. but i guess i should at least be thankful that i managed to get her completely potty trained b4 she went into the terrible 2's..
    merciesmommy

Answer by merciesmommy at 2:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Wine. Lots and lots of wine....lol
    Anonymous

• as soon as my son turned two (which was about a month ago) terrible 2s kicked in. * i can't repeat myself enough . what seems to work for me sometimes is if i tell him that i will take something away if he continues to act up ... and whats the worse is when i have to take him by myself to buy groceries or do any type of shopping, he screams,cries and have these insane tantrums if the shopping we are doing has nothing to do with toys .. this can be embarrassing but i always make sure i carry around a lil packet of gummies for him just in case it gets really bad, just so i can get some things done.
    ladiijadex3

Answer by ladiijadex3 at 1:35 AM on Oct. 30, 2009