circumsions?

can we have an adult convo about this without someone getting upset?

if we can then lets...

after whatching a video on this via the internet i was just wondering why some moms would opt to have this done?
i have a boy and he was not cut. i repeat was not cut. and neither is my husband. and if the baby im currently pregnant with now is a boy i will not cut him either.
i believe it is a painful and do not need to be done. it doesnt make it work better. lets face it you only need it for a few reasons. one to pee and two to provide life. true it does make it easier to clean but with good hygiene this shouldnt matter...

so again acting adult like can we talk about this topic... if not i will delete this....

so if you have done this or plan to do this.... why ? ? ?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 1:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm pregnant with a boy and won't be having it done, and here is why - with references!
    http://www.nocircpa.org/4642.html
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• We don't circ either. My husband was, but to me, it's my boy's penis. Not my husband. Him having a penis doesn't give him the right to decide for someone else. It is a hot topic, but the biggest thing for me: if he needs it done, he can do it later in life. If we do it for him, we don't give him an option at all.

Plus, my first son did have surgery on his penis (he was born with hypospadias) and it was horrible. I know it's different, but I could never opt to cut into my kid ever again for anything that isn't necessary. It was just really bad.

I don't see the reason behind circumcision in the first place (other than religious reasons).
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 1:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I also see no reason to have this routinely done. Many people are believing outdated information that it is cleaner, and others do it for aesthetic or religious reasons.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I do circumcise for a couple of reasons. First of all, my husband is and really wanted his sons to be as well. My personal reason is that I used to work in a nursing home and saw several men who were not circumcised come in with foreskin infections. It was horrible and so very painful for them. Plus it took them extra long to heal as they were older. One actually had to be circumcised because the infection would not go away even after months of treatment and antibiotics. It took over 6 months for it to heal. It was at that time that I promised myself that I would not let any of my sons go through that. When my son was circumcised he cried for a few minutes and was completely healed less than a week later. So much faster and less painful than those older men. I really don't care if people don't want to do it, but for my family I felt it was the best decision. IMO I have saved my sons from possibly having a bad infection.

YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 2:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• yes i had it done to my son, the nurses insisted many older men have it done because it gets infected. dh is circed and honestly i find the look of an uncut dick disgusting! i had a second baby with kidney issues, the baby didnt make it... but when working with urologists -- they said 100% he would have to have it done because it could prevent bladder and kidney infections. it has been done for thousands of years because it is safe and cleaner. i wouldnt want my son harmed (infected, had to get it done later when he would remember the pain) because i wasnt strong enough to get it done when he was a baby. he healed in 2 days. i am so glad to have it done.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I CIRC IS MY CHOICE, MY DH ISNT CIRC BUT HE WANTED TO GET OUR SON CIRC. LIKE I SAID MY CHILD MY CHOICE.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I circ'd my oldest out of ignorance, I didn't circ my younger son. I should have never taken it upon myself to alter my child if not necessary. The only need for surgery is when a medical situation happens, not because something could happen. A lot of things could happen and we don't have preventative surgery for them.

Anonymous

• I wouldn't, but I will say that video is most likely outdated, and NOT how it's currently done.

I wouldn't do it to "save them from future infection" as I do not routinely remove my daughter's breasts on the off chance she might get breast cancer. I also wouldn't do it so they'd look like their dad, since I won't pain moles on their legs, either. :)

I think there are good and bad reasons to do it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I would never do that to my son. all of the reasons for "needing" to be circ'ed can be easily prevented. Infections come in places that are not cleaned properly. even in the elderly! I also worked in a nursing home, and had to make sure I cleaned EVERYWHERE on the patients I took care of. that included all parts of the penis. It takes an extra effort but i think its well worth it when it comes to sparing my newborn that pain.
    BodensMommy115

Answer by BodensMommy115 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• We did it simply because my child's father is. He left some decisions up to me and I left that one up to him. I think it is just a personal choice like breastfeeding. I would like to add, though, that there is a method called Plastibel, where no cutting is done. A plastic ring is used. That is the method we used and he didn't even cry when the Dr did it. Also it healed very quickly.
    TrystansMom314

Answer by TrystansMom314 at 5:03 AM on Nov. 3, 2009