• In the Spotlight:

Quick quiz: What do these enterprises have in common? Farm and construction machinery, Tupperware, the railroads, Hershey sweets, Yum food brands and Yahoo?

Answer: They're all more profitable than the health insurance industry. In the health care debate, Democrats and their allies have gone after insurance companies as rapacious profiteers making "immoral" and "obscene" returns while "the bodies pile up."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091025/D9BI4D6O1.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The U.S. government doesn't pay for the development of new drugs and therapies - private companies do. Eliminating innovation is hardly a solution that will save lives or eliminate suffering. You want everyone to be able to see a doctor for a cold and are willing to give up a cure for cancer in the process. That's certainly reforming our health care system, but I'm not sure if that's for the better.

lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Profit has become a dirty, dirty word.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Isn't that a good thing? To make a profit? America haters obviously don't get it.
    Anonymous

• You guys didn't get the memo. Making a profit or being wealthy is a crime now.
    Anonymous

• I apparently missed the memo too...I don't understand this Countries thinking or lack there of these days...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• And not one of those industries can make decisions that end or ruin someones life on a daily basis.

I worked for a large ins company and saw new CEO's come in every couple of years, lay off a bunch of grunts and leave with million dollar bonuses. I saw claims denied for no good reason. I saw procedures and referrals denied and patients ended up worse or dead. I've personally spent months trying to get to see a specialist because the ins thought my gp could handle my problem.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 2:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• So insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to make a profit Friday?
    Anonymous

• I'm for making all ins companies non-profit. Some already are. I don't agree with letting people die or suffer to make a profit. Guess I'm funny that way.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 2:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Why is America the only industrialized country where Insurance Companies make a profit?

The healing of America By T.R. Reid

Basic info about the major Industrialized countries and their HC systems-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I worked for a large ins company and saw new CEO's come in every couple of years, lay off a bunch of grunts and leave with million dollar bonuses.

This happens in most large Corps in America-
    Year after year. Eff up after Eff up. Slash jobs, make a ton of $$$ and then out the door.
    Unbelievable- Some of these CEOs make waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than a million when they are, "Severed". Some even come back for repeat performances-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2009