Do you let you child laugh when another child falls or is hurt?

I can't understand why a mom would allow her 8 year old laugh and point hysterically when a 5 year takes a bad fall and gets hurt. The mom of the 8 year old does nothing! I think that would have been a good opportunity for that mom to teach her 8 year old a little bit of empathy if not basic acceptable social behavior. How it is not ok to laugh and point when someone else get hurt. The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I teach my children empathy. When someone falls, my two year old runs to them and offers a hug. Hopefully, when she is 8, she won't think it's funny.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• No, I would not. I explain to my child that it's not funny and could easily be him. I ask him how would he feel if he fell and people laughed. I ask him if he thought the fall itself might be painful.
    Anonymous

• If my son laughs at someone else getting hurt or something of that nature, I just tell him not to do it, that it's not nice. He is 8 too and is already realizing that it isn't right to laugh at other people like that.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends. Someone falling is sometimes funny (think America's Funniest Home Videos). However, someone getting hurt is NOT funny.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• :( That's mean.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 3:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• No, I do not. I also have seen some of those AFV shows and some/most of them are not funny.
    Anonymous

• Ii don't let my child laugh. But I can't control the reactions. I will just let them know it's not cool to do that.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Well, I think it starts like this - we are totally clumsy in our family.. .when a baby hurts and falls, you don't want to "coddle" them too much so they whine every time they fall cause really, it doesn't hurt each time, so you laugh it off or so it's ok honey and keep going ... but have you seen animals funniest videos' or american's funniest videos'? I think most people naturally think falling is funny, especially when it is someone else, that in NO WAY means I wouldn't tell my son it woudl be wrong to point and laugh, I would be down right MAD if he did that but... see how it start? They have to know when they should or shouldn't also-
    Anonymous

• my son would never laugh (he's 8 too). My son has a very caring, "motherly" type attitude. He's very much a "boys boy", except when it comes to younger kids, he's very compassionate. I'm proud of him.
    Anonymous

• depends on if they get hurt and how they fell and why etc. sometimes, falling is funny :)
    Anonymous