Anyone ever have a baby that fought sleep?

What did you do that worked? My 6month old only fights sleep at nap time, rocking, white noise, nursing, cuddling, he has just as big a fit as if I put him down.

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 2:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i do, i just rock her till she is out cold. but she only 1 month old.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son fights his sleep ALL THE TIME. He's 5 months right now.
    He likes this song; its called Panic Switch by: Silversun Pickups. You'd swear it was his weakness. I put it on twice and he instantly calms down and falls asleep.
    ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Answer by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 2:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son fought sleep something crazy for months. I was so tired and felt like such a bad mom b/c he wouldnt sleep. Physically he was fine. My doctor said CIO. I hated that idea. However, one night i tried it. He cried for 15 minutes and was sleeping. The next night less and so on and so forth. About a week later i could go trhough out bedtime routine lay him down and say night night and he would sleep. Now he is 13 months old and is a sleep pro! I think the trick is that they need to learn to self sooth a bit. I know its hard, dont let them cry forever...thats to hard on them and you.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son fought it like MAD! I tried every method is so many books, finally at 8 months old he didn't sleep for literally 3 days - which means I didn't either. I brought him to the doctor and he said he HAS to learn to self sooth - he HAS to CIO - ( basically after me crying to him for 1/2 hour ) he cried for literally almost 3 hours the first time but each time lessened however he kepts fighting EVERY night until recently - up to 45 minutes sometimes still and he turns 2 in a week... my little fighter!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Put him down for his nap earlier...before he shows any signs of being tired. A well rested baby is much easier to get to sleep than one who is overly tired. My daughter used to rub her eyes when she was tired...but if I waited until she started rubbing her eyes...it was already too late. Make sure you have a consistent and regular bedtime routine (diaper change, story, rocking, song, whatever...just keep it the same) and he'll fall into a better pattern. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Mine still does. My favorite is when he does it in front of my mother, and i get the "i'm definetly a better mother than you" look. I havent figured it out, but I get alot of criticism about it.... alot. With my son it changes every week, sometimes its a rocker, sometimes a stroll outside, but never without a fight. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to let him bounce it out in his jumper right now!
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2009