My soon to be 4 yr old is acting up in public a lot while his 2 yr old brother isn't.

He is crying, hitting and yelling when he doesn't get his way. My husband and i are both currently deployed and my parents and sisters are helping raise the boys right now. my soon to be 4 yr old is behaving a lot worse thaan my two year old. How can i help while i'm over here? What can my sister do for him?

Azucena86

Asked by Azucena86 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds to me like he's feeling abandoned and he has little sense of stability, so he's trying to get attention wherever he can get it. Can you webcam chat with your children, or send pictures/videos to them from wherever you are? I think he needs as much face-to-face contact with you as he can get right now -- and phone conversations too. And make sure that your parents and sisters (who are awesome for doing what they're doing) try and give him special attention too. That doesn't mean babying him, and that doesn't mean not punishing him when he acts out -- but he needs to be reminded that he's loved and he's got STABILITY. That's sooo important.
    CoffeeOrDeath

Answer by CoffeeOrDeath at 3:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• (to me) it sounds like he is competing for attention
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 2:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2009