how to deal with step children who dont listen or respect u..

I have 4 step children and the oldest just turned 9 yesterday.. he doesnt listen to anything i say and is always arguing with me about everything.. his dad just lets him do it.. its like im the personal welcome mat.. any suggestions??

merciesmommy

Asked by merciesmommy at 2:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• you need to set rules and consequences and you need to get hubby to step in it too, show them that it's not just you that thinks what they're doing is wrong, they need to know that both parents are thinking the same way. i don't have much experience with dealing with 9 year olds but when it comes to a teenager they finally have at least a lil bit of sense. sit them down and explain things to them, if you keep doing this than this will happen because of this. but please please please don't try to take the guilt trip on them because i find that it ends up making you cry and you lose a lil more respect, thats reserved for teenaged girls lol GL mommy take the best advice you find, not mine if it doesn't make sense
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 11:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Take a deep breath!

I'm sure that you know that your kid and dh know that without you they couldn't "survive" so I would take this as my advantage over them. Take away something that they can only get from you. Next thing you know they all be well behave.
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

• How do you treat him? Respect is a two way street. Treat him how you want to be treated. Get his father to understand the harm he is doing to his son by letting him treat people this way. Your SS is not going to change if his father lets him get away with it. Nothing you do will change that until dad changes his attitude.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2009