Ok! Last chance to give me any tips for flying with a 5 month old! We take off in the morning. Thanks to everyone who's already offered me some great info/tips!

Wish us luck!! :)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you BF nurse during take off and landing.
    Anonymous

• i was going to say nurse or bottle feed when you take off and land but someone beat me to it lol. oh and ignore any bad looks stuck up business men give you when your baby cries. That was the worst part of flying with a baby for me.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Oh who are you flying? Southwest has open seating, which is awesome because no one will choose to sit next to you. I always end up with a row to myself and baby if the flight isn't over booked. I would say if you do have assigned seating don't board first, that is just longer you have to try to sit still.

The baby made me hit annon on the first one. He loves the mouse.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 3:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Nurse/feed during take off and landing if your LO will - otherwise a pacifier works well too (keeps their ears from hurting). Bring lots of chewy toys and books to have in your carry-on - by your feet, not overhead. If you have a wrap or sling - bring it with. I found that with my kids as babies, they would sleep better on the plane if they were in the wrap - it was easier to block out all of the distractions that way. As soon as the seat belt light goes off, I stand up, put the baby in the wrap, and stand next to my seat - I can move in easily when people need to get past me - and bounce in the aisle. I also bring anti-bacterial wipes (like the travel sized clorox wipes) to wipe down the arm rest, the the top of the seats in my row, and the back of the seat in front of me - that way when my LO tries to suck on any of them I'm not freaking out about all the H1N1 germs LOL .
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• One more thing- it may get stressful, especially if you LO gets fussy and people are giving you dirty looks, but ignore everyone else and do your best to stay relaxed - your baby is more likely to calm down if you're not all tense :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Don't forget a extra change of clothes! I forgot when my daughter was this age and she had a blow out diaper in the air...needless to say i learned my lesson! Pacifier, bottle or breast feeding during take off and landing...I also gave tynenol. Little toys or books to keep them entertained. Good luck- you'll be fine!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Ask the gate agent if there are any better seats for you two,she can see if there's an open area/row and sometimes groups don't show up for flights.
    Mix your formula before you leave, if you have water bottles they will make you throw them out at security.
    Take something to entertain baby. Teethers, toys, whatever works.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Breast feed or use a pacifier during take off and landing. Also I had a blowout both ways on the plane so make sure you have an extra outfit. Plenty of things to eat, chew on and keep them entertained. My son pretty much slept the whole time. Good luck.
    lunaroach

Answer by lunaroach at 2:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2009