what kind of shots does a 1 year old get?

a mom told me that a child at 1 gets 4 shots and to request the shots be spilt up because if you get all 4 shots at once it causes autism. she claims that this happend to her daughter. any adivce?

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 3:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is nothing proven that shots can cause autism. There must have been an underlying factor that came out after she got the shots. We are coming up on the year mark also. My doc said that they usually do all the shots at 15 months. You can request to have them split up like you can at any age. Most doctors will comply. If you want them to split them, request it at the year appointment. They will do a few of them then. But there is nothing proven about shots/vaccines causing autism.

Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Well. There's nothing to prove one way or the other. Shots affect different children in different ways, and a girl was awarded money because her shot triggered her autism (yes, I'm aware, she was predisposed, but if she hadn't had the shot, maybe she would have remained predisposed instead of autistic, who knows?). If you wait to get the mmr until they are two, their blood brain barrier is closed, and it can't cause autism, even if it could before 2. I'm not convinced it CAN cause autism before 2, but it's worth considering. It can cause other things, as listed on the side effects sheet. My doctor recommends that shot after 2, or if you do it before 1 splitting it up. We will give it after she is two.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• my dr said that if they have the autism gene then one day they will probably develop autism and that soemtimes the shot can cause it to come on quicker but its in those that already are gonig to develop it. I asked if they do the test to determine if the kids have it and she said no that the test is very expensive and they only do it if signs of autism have already developed. I wish they would do it for every child.
    amy068

Answer by amy068 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2009