should i get rid of the cat? what would you do?

we got a cat 4 months ago and he is still likes to hide from the kids...he is a good cat over all but is scared of the kids, he doesnt bite or claw he just runs away and stays hid the whole time they are home or awake. and he starts breathing heavier and sheds more when they try to pet him...im stuck i dont know what to do ..i feel bad about gettin rid of him but at the same time i think he would be better off in a home that has no kids or with an older couple/person...

should add he doesnt get along with my other 2 cats they like to play and rough house and he is just too old for that kind of thing....

gothmama91

Asked by gothmama91 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Poor kitty!!! I would check with your vet or at a local church to see if they know of an older couple interested in taking in a cat. He's not hurting your kids, and it sounds like they aren't hurting him, but if he's that scared and not doing well with your other cats, it's not good for him to stay where he is.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I would find it a new home...it sounds like it has some security issues.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• He does not like kids. Or he just doesn't like your kids. Maybe they are too rough. Or maybe he just likes peace and quiet all the time. I think you should talk to a vet about it first. If it can't be resolved, then you'll need to find him a new home.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• naw he isnt hurting the kids, i got rid of my beloved dog when he showed teeth to my son, afraid he would bite him i had to find him a new home and it broke my heart! if it just hides... i dont see what that hurts.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• AmaliaD: "he starts breathing heavier and sheds more when they try to pet him"

Kids are having a physical effect on him...find him a new home where there are no kids, he is not just hiding, he is terrified.
    Anonymous

• my kids arent rough at all other than than they are loud they are well behaved....and they never hurt the animals ...they do well with my other 2 cats but they are cuddle bugs. this cat was in the shelter for 6 years and they was gonna put him down if someone didnt take him...and they thought he was abused by previous owners being his one ear was cropped
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• and they thought he was abused by previous owners

unfortunately he may have been better off being put down...abused animals do not do well with kids in the first place.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2009