Whats the differance in texture, ingrediance & taste of a pound cake vs chiffon cake & box cake vs chiffon cake?

TummyPrincess

Asked by TummyPrincess at 3:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• This is not a simple question. Taste is influenced by flavors. A lemon pound cake may taste similar to a chiffon cake, but the pound cake is much more dense. I don't think I've ever had a box cake,so I can't help you there.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• A chiffon cake is more light and airy than a pound cake. Pound cake is dense and hearty. I can't speak for ingredients as I don't have time to look up my recipes. Homemade cake is always better tasting and healthier than boxed cake.
    Anonymous

• Chiffon cake is light and airy, a pound cake is dense and buttery. I have had tasty box cakes and nasty box cakes and vice versa.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• The pound cake is called that - because the main ingredients are all equal and I guess add up to a pound. . . . . anyway, the pound cake is a slightly firmer cake and usually very moist - - very delicious in my opinion......

The Chiffon Cake is also delicious but less dense - more fluffy !!!
    KELLI2L

Answer by KELLI2L at 12:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Many Americans are accustumed to the texture of cake mix (it is lighter and fluffier than alot of homemade type cakes. I love a good homemade cake myself. Pound cake is dense and is very popular in my neck of the woods. (NC southern girl here!) Chiffon cakes are lighter and fluffier than alot of other types of homemade cakes because the yolk and whites of the eggs are seperated and added at different times. The whites are beaten to meringue stage in a clean bowl and then added to the batter and carefully folded in before baking. This is what makes it lighter. A good source for baking facts, tips, and ideas and recipes is: www.baking911.com
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Oh. Another thing...a trend these days is doctoring up cake mixes. There are simple doctoring up methods and complicated ones. The more complicated ones are almost as labor intensive as making a cake from scratch! For all that work and time, you could just measure a few more cupfuls and have an entirely made from scratch cake! I used to be a "doctor-em-up" baker but have gone to almost entirely to scratch baking. A good tip is that you can substitute cake flour instead of all-purpose flour. The difference is the texture. The cake flour is alot finer than all-purpose and therefore produces a lighter cake. I bake alot and I can always tell the difference!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2009