How often do you feel as if you need a break from your kids?

Is it to often if I need a short one every day? Toddlers can be frustrating!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think since you just need a short break, you're not a bad person. its hard sometimes when you're with the kiddos all day. i have a ss who right now i'm having power struggles with (he gets away with EVERYTHING with his grandparents. anyway, when i give ds (11 months) a bath its my short lil break for the day.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I think if I was a SAHM mom YES, I would need one daily, if not more often.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• What is a break? lol
    If I am lucky my husband will watch my son for an hour in the morning on the weekend so I can get a little bit extra sleep. But that doesn't happen often.
    He is getting ready to be deployed and I live about 3,000 miles from my family. I don't trust anyone here to baby sit, so in my world there really is no such thing as a "break"
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My kids drove me crazy, like tears, panic, freak out sessions, CRAZY. I disciplined them and got control of them immediately because I couldn't deal with it anymore. But yes, a break daily seems just about right!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I think it is normal to want a couple minutes to yourself every day. It may not be practical, but it's not an inane request. My husband rarely lets me get some 'me-time' but he also works graveyard shift 5 nights a week and is generally just tired all the time. I deal with the lack of sleep and over-exertion a little better than he does, so it's fair in my eyes. Obviously we don't know your situation, but I think as a parent in any situation it is fair to want a break. Don't feel bad for it.

Here's a situation to ease your mind: My neighbor (29) and his son (2 1/2) live with his mom (49) in a 1 bedroom apartment and he has major drama with the baby's mother. He has been fighting for full custody this whole time. Baby's mom got into some legal trouble and the courts banned her from seeing her son. Dad and Grandma's reaction? "Who are we going to dump him on now when we need a break?!" It could be so much worse. You're okay.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 11:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2009