Do you agree with this statement?

"We should no more allow parents to teach their children to believe, for example, in the literal truth of the Bible or that planets rule their lives, than we should allow parents to knock their children's teeth out."

What do you think about someone saying this?

: )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 4:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that no one has the right to dictate what we teach our kids. With that said, I also believe parents should be teaching their kids that there are many different religions and beliefs in the world, and that they should learn about them all, and make an informed decision on their own as to whether or not they want to believe anything at all.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• What about this quote?

"How much do we regard children as being the property of their parents? It's one thing to say people should be free to believe whatever they like, but should they be free to impose their beliefs on their children? Is there something to be said for society stepping in? What about bringing up children to believe manifest falsehoods?"

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i think someone's off their rocker to be equating child abuse with religious/theological training. physical abuse is hardly the same as teaching your child the that God or planets rule the outcome of their daily life.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 4:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I think we need to remember that our children do not 'belong' to us. They are human beings in their own right. They are entitled to their own thoughts and reason. That being said, I don't think it's a bad thing to tell children what you believe and why in the hopes that they will reach a similar conclusion. I do think there are cases where rigidly applying dogma or employing brainwashing techniques or sheltering children to the extreme that they don't realize there are any differing viewpoints and that these cross a line having to do with the right to make autonomous decisions. However I think very few parents would cross that line in teaching their children their beliefs (I'm thinking more of extreme cults where children are raised in seclusion with no influences other than the other cult members.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I agree with the point but the analogy is harsh.  I wouldn't compare it to knocking teeth out.  I would say that parents have no more right to choose their children's spiritual path than they have to choose their career.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• beeky
    I think teaching children about religion is far different then choosing their religion.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I think there ARE times when it could be considered child abuse...like the times when the child is constantly punished and ridiculed for not believing in the same thing as the parents. The parents see this as disobedience, but belief is NOT a choice and should not be forced. Whether its considered actual abuse or not, it can leave emotional scars and cause kids to grow up and resent their families.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I think teaching children about religion is far different then choosing their religion.

Indoctrination is far different than teaching.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• By the way, I will give a smiley face sticker to anyone who can correctly guess who said these things.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• teaching is one thing.. when it starts getting to the point of a parent forcing their beliefs.. then I can (at times) see how this can could relate to the rest of the quotation.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2009