I know atheists have morals . . .

But what do you personally base your own morals on (laws? human rights? etc.) Do you believe that morals are relative, or that there are certain things that everyone should go by.

If you could write a set of "Ten Commandments" for everyone to follow what would they be?

: ) I am excited to see what you come up with!

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 4:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The language is a little raw, but the point is valid:

http://www.dvrbs.com/world/GeorgeCarlin-TheTenCommandments.htm

Anonymous

• Thank you anon, I am sure that people will get a kick out of that link. I personally found it pretty offensive so I didn't read much.

But I am being serious. I don't want to invite people to make fun of the Biblical Commandments, but to seriously come up with morals that they think should apply to everyone.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• But I am being serious...

So was I. Read to the end, it sums it up exactly - be honest and faithful and don't kill anyone unless you have a really good reason. That's it. The end.
    Anonymous

• 1) Do not murder, 2) do not steal, 3) do not commit adultery, 4) do not abuse any living creature, 5) do not drive in the left-hand lane when people are passing you on the right, 6) protect the planet, 7) close your mouth when chewing, 8) do not abuse drugs or alcohol, 9) do not bully, and 10) do not hate.

Some make sense to keep an orderly society, some of them are more relative to me.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Oh, okay! I didn't get that far. So you would have 3 commandments:
    1. Be honest
    2. Be faithful
    3. Don't kill anyone unless you have a really good reason.

and your influence was George Carlin. That is cool. Thank you! : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• As you know I am a Christian. Rather than extracting rules from Bible verses, which anyone can make an argument as to what they think the Bible actually meant, what the original language actually said, and taking the culture, time and context into consideration....I take the Bible as a whole and have an understanding that what hurts others and what hurts God is "sin" and is therefore "immoral." What hurts God is not putting him first, not worshiping him and not seeking him but leaning on your own understanding. While this is an absolutist belief, there is *some* element of relativism to this because each person's relationship with the Holy Spirit is different and the Holy Spirit guides us to what we EACH need because only God knows the heart.

The second category as to how I conclude what is "sin/morality" is if it harms others. While also an absolutist statement, there is indeed some element of (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• relativism to this because my relationships with others are unique to me and my relationship with God is unique to me (the same goes for anyone with relationships with God and others). God will lead me to do what is right for myself and those around me. While the Bible is an irreplaceable tool for this, I don't get bent out of shape when someone who loves God and earnestly seeks his will gets a different interpretation or urging for God than I did about how to handle their own personal situations and relationships with others. This does not signify to me that others are "wrong" in their beliefs or interpretations but that God is working with them personally, helping guide them to what they uniquely need.

I fully admit that I am a finite individual and need God's personal help leading me to holiness. I don't expect to know everything there is. Perhaps one day God will explain it all to me when I'm in heaven with him :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• (I want to add that I do not believe that morality is mutually exclusive to my religion, however, ether :-) God created and defines the universe and has laid the processes and boundaries by which all things work. Common sense and morality are able to be discovered and followed by anyone).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Logic, reason, and the law are three things that really drive me. Compassion and love are a part of it too, but they don't play a huge part in my decision making. Murder is wrong because, well, it's just wrong, there's no need to debate it. Stealing is wrong because it just IS. You should be nice to others because if you're not, everyone will hate you and you'll never get anywhere in life. You should love your spouse and your children because love is necessary for healthy personal relationships. I also base a lot of stuff off of "Would I like it if someone did that to me?" and if the answer is no, then I don't find it worthy of being "good". I wouldn't like it if someone murdered me or stole from me or slapped me or lied to me, so why should I do it to them?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i use my common sense as morals..obviously if something hurts someone else in anyways shape or form, its wrong (murder, stealing etc)

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2009