Is this guy for real?

On Wednesday afternoon, Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) shed tears on the House floor during a speech on the need for health insurance reform. Reading letters from people who have lost their loved ones because they did not have health coverage, the emotional Congressman paid tribute to victims who he said "aren't often heard from."

"There are 44,789, who die every year from lack of health insurance," Grayson said. "In the course of my speech tonight, there will be five more."

The moving stories narrated by Grayson came from his website namesofthedead.com. Unveiled on the House floor last week, the congressman's initiative aims to shine light on the innocent victims of the U.S. health care system. "I hope that honoring them will help us end this senseless loss of American lives," Grayson wrote.

Or is this akin to a publicity stunt for him? seems he is making a habit of being outrageous. Is it sincere??

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Mu2k8SI6k&feature=player_embedded
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Why would you think that a human being cannot be sincere about another human beings life? What is so insincere about having compassion for those less fortunate? It is a fact that people have been dieying for decades for this reason, this is nothing new or something he made up, come on!

Answer by older at 4:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Nothing is insincere about thoses things, but this guy seems like he saw Joe Wilson get some attention for lashing out....Did it himself with the "die quickly" poster boards, and it got him a LOT of attention.

So it feels phoney to me, like watching a show.

I am not arguing the words he said, I believe them, just his new act...Which can hurt him if he seems to be putting it on KWIM?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I guess if he's not rubbing Vicks on his eyelids to produce fake tears, then he's not really crying, eh wingers?
    Anonymous

• Wow, I guess the people that died didn't know they could go to the ER or a free clinic. Why were they turned down the government run Medicaid??

People lived for centuries without health insurance, still do in many parts of the world.

PHONEY BALONEY.
    Anonymous

• My grandfather died last night. He had excellent insurance. That still didn't get his stubborn self to the doctor. He died of complications of a bladder infection. Who does that in this century? Seriously? You can't legislate someone into caring for themselves. I think your gut feeling is probably right, sweet, he's doing it for the attention.

I'd like to see more go into education on caring for yourself. I doubt my grandfather knew that a swollen prostate would eventually kill him.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Guess he's government run healthcare whore.
    Anonymous

• His is the biggest idiot in Washington to date - and that includes Pelosi. He even tried to justify the use of the term "whore" by telling reporters to look up other uses of the word like "someone who compromises his/her morals, values, or religion for a cause". That didn't help. That is exactly what any "whore" does. He is an absolute lune.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Have you seem Malkin's article on how they got the number 44,798

They took a poll of 9,000 people, and noted those who didn't have health insurance. Then if any of them died over the next 12 years for any reason - they listed the cause of death as "because they didn't have health insurance"

Forget if they actually had health insurance at the time of death, or if they died instantly in a car accident - cause of death is "they didn't have health insurance."
    Anonymous

• Can you say "Cooked Books"?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2009