How much does your infant interact?

My best friend has a 6 week old, and I don't know if I should be concerned or not. She doesn't seem to interact with anyone. I can get her to look at me once in a while (I take care of her a LOT), but never for more than a second or two....I remember my kids looking into my eyes and "communicating" with me, but I don't remember what age it started ...I think I just remeber it always being that way, my "baby" is 8 so it has been a long time!
My instincts tell me something's wrong, but I don't want to worry a new mom- especially at the place her life is in right now, lots of stress! I wonder if maybe she doesn't hear me.....she doesn't respond to all the little baby noises that us mommy's make when we hold a newborn....all the silly sounds, funny faces, and baby talking...and she sleeps through everything!
As I just being overly worried for nothing? How much does/did your little ones interact with you at the beginning?

christyg

Asked by christyg at 4:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd is 5 months so I am trying to remember 6 weeks...she could definitely make eye contact but I don't think she could do much more than that....and she did sleep a lot. I would wait until after her 2 month check up - it seems like here pedi should be able to notice an issue if there is one. I hope she's ok!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• my son cried all day at 6 weeks but I remember I always felt like he wouldn't really look at me. that's still SO young... I would give it some time before telling her mom.. just make sure her mom being stressed and all, isn't frustrated with the abby or crys... you'd hate for it to be Shaken baby issues....
    Anonymous

• She almost NEVER cries!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My 6 week old son looks at me all the time when I talk to him. He smiles and coos and is starting to giggle a little bit. He'll smile and look at almost anyone who talks to him.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 5:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My daughter can sleep through a lot as far as loud noises go, so I wouldn't necessarily get her worried about that. She's 10 weeks old and really only in the last couple of weeks has she started to interact with us. She might have interacted a little at 6 weeks but not a whole lot. I would give it another month or two and see how it goes. My daughter also sleeps a lot, even now at 10 weeks. She's really the most active in the evenings.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Yes you're being paranoid and probably mis-remembering how your baby was. My daughter is 8 mos. and a very active, interacitve child, but I do remember her at 6 wks. and she was not doing a whole lot. I don't believe she smiled till around 3 mos. She mostly just cried and lied there. I don't think she was even making eye contact at 6 wks. Unless there's somethin wrong with the baby (as confirmed by doctors) it would be cruel to say "well, your kid is a lump, I think something's wrong with him.'
    Anonymous

• My son is almost 5 wks he does make eye contact with me but usually only when he is eating! he does smile some but not much! remember every baby is different my oldest who is now 5 didnt start interacting til he was lil ova 2 months my middle son was about 3 months! an there fine
    mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 5:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Momof3...Thank you! That is what I remember too!
    Anon.... I haven't said anything because I don't want to worry her. Even if I do mention it, I won't be CRUEL!!!! There are nice ways to tell someone you care about what concerns you have!
    Christina807...Do you remember at 6 weeks if she looked right at you?

christyg

Answer by christyg at 6:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I think she did, but not very much at all. She would have to be wide awake and she would only be wide awake for a short time each day. She was also smiling at that time, but it wasn't like she knew she was doing it. It was more accidental. I think it was around 8 weeks that she would smile at me on purpose and even then it wasn't very often.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2009