How can I entertain a 15 month old during a 9 hour road trip?

We will not be able to travel at night so she won't be sleeping most of the time and she hates to sit still. Does anyone have any advice on what things I can do to keep her occupied and happy? Thanks

momof2girlz33

Asked by momof2girlz33 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Travel

• toys and dvd player :) works like a charm for my 2yr old and 15month old. and that's on 12-14 hour trips (i drove by myself each time btw)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I like to drive at night. But I know you won't be able to -

Here's what I do (we're about to do the same; this Monday nite/Tues morning, driving from MD to WV, a 9 hour trip with a budget rental van & my truck).

I either
    A. get tons of new library books (don't let my kids see them until we're on the trip) plus audiobooks, or
    B. if I can't do that, I take some of their own books and hide them away so they haven't been read recently. I also took the magnadoodles away so they'll be kind of "new" for the trip. No one's missed any of these.

Tell stories, sing songs. Take lots of stops. Have someone sit next to her, with some toys, puppets. Markers are fun- bring a spiral notebook and a marker, let her draw. If she gets dirty, let it go. it's a long trip. Stop at rest areas so she can stretch her legs, but you're not driving into town and wasting too much time...If you stop to eat, don't stop at normal rush times.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• DVD player. It was a lifesaver on our last trip.
    Anonymous

• My 20 month old just traveled with me for a 29 hour road trip and without any choice of getting out of her seat she has to make do. My 3 and 5 year old have been great too. We do the movies and they have a coloring book eack and a couple books and that is all. We are on another road trip and we travelled 10 hours today and they did great. I think he/she will do better than you expect. And snacks are a life saver. I just put a few in little baggies and bring them our periodically.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2009