How much should I charge?

I am starting up a business. Papercrafting...my question is...how much should I charge for card/notecard sets? Also, how much should I charge for small scrapbooks? Thanks for any advice!

www.papermom.com

MamaCass07

Asked by MamaCass07 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Well, to begin with you need to know what your costs are, how much YOU spend per piece.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 5:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I'd start out charging a price equal to the cost of the materials plus around $8/hr. for your time, or start a little higher than that and use that as your special sale price. Of course if you find that the time involved would cause your prices to be too high for most buyers you might have to go down a little on the value of your time.
    Anonymous

• As for the scrapbooks, I would charge per page (labor) and for the materials that I use, how much effort I have to put into it. How elaborate the scrapbook has to be. For the cards/stationary. I would say atleast $1 a card, depending on how elaborate the card is. The notecards sets, $5 or more.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Go to local craft sales and consignment craft shops near you to see what other artists are charging. A lot depends upon your materials - photographs or printed items (ink is expensive) or trinkets used on scrapbook pages. Since you are also doing business online, compare what other people providing similar services are charging. You don't have to charge the same or be cheaper, but you need to know the competition and showcase how your service is better. What do you provide that the others don't - even if it is service, quick responses, wider variety, personalizing, etc. Your time is valuable, don't shortchange yourself.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 5:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Check Etsy and ebay for comparable prices then go from there. Be kind to yourself though. your stuff is better than most out there already for sale ;) Good Luck!!
    HeatherMom8

Answer by HeatherMom8 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2009