My kids are 13, 16 still like to Trick Or Treat..why the backlash against teens at Halloween?

Last year my son (then 15) and my daughter (then 12) had a huge Halloween party. - co-ed. A portion of the party was going out for an hour around the neighborhood to Trick or Treat.

They had issues with people not wanting to give them candy because they were "too old."
THEY ARE KIDS FOR CRIPES SAKE!

Everyone had on costumes. What is the problem? I will add that the boys had more comments made to them about being too old than the girls. There were boys and girls in both age groups.

Kids grow up SO fast these days.. TOO fast.. why can't we let them be kids when they are making the effort to just do a KID activity?

What do you think?
I would ask that if you get teens at your house this year to please remember they are just kids too. Not cute little 4 year olds, but still kids.

Chickie12

Asked by Chickie12 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with that about people bringing babies out. It's usually nice here (AZ) on halloween and a great night for a mom and dad to take baby for a walk so I have no problems with dropping the same thing in a pumpkin for dad knowing full well that baby is going nowhere near that Snickers or Dr. Pepper.

It's fun.. for anyone wanting to participate. People really need to lighten up. On the other thread about people throwing candy out.. .. trust me when I say that you would be hard pressed to find a teen-ager collecting your candy just to toss it in the trash.

I'm glad I am not the only one who feels this way.
    Chickie12

Answer by Chickie12 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• At my house, if you have a costume and a treat bucket, you get candy.

Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 5:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I went through high school. A lot of kids around here do. As long as they are in costume and not just a paper bag over their head, I see no reason for them not to.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If you lived in my city, they would get candy at my house! If the teens have on actual costumes, then they get candy.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I can't imagine being rude to them, but even 30 years ago no one over 10 or 11 would be caught dead trick-or-treating where I grew up. In my family the last year of elementary school = the last year to trick-or-treat unless acting as a chaperone for younger children.
    Anonymous

• As far as I'm concerned there shouldn't be some age where it's okay to do something fun. I trick-or-treated in highschool. And almost everyone else did too. Except for the ones who thought they were "too cool" I feel the same about people taking babies out too. Who cares let people have fun and stop looking for reasons to complain. JMO I guess.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 5:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I think anyone who is willing to dress up should be able to go trick or treating! Young and old. 3 months old or 100 years old!
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 5:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I welcome teens (even adults for that matter!) trick-or-treating at my house, so long as they are wearing a costume. It's when I see 16 year olds in street clothes, carrying a grocery bag and asking for candy that kinda annoy me.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I dont consider a teen a kid. They are heading into young adulthood and as such shouldnt be doing child like activities.

I have had teens come to my door before and do give them a treat but that doesnt mean I like it. Heck, Ive had adults come to my house before and given them something even tho I found it very odd and inappropriate.

I stopped at 12 and that was a good age and thats when we will have our boys stop too. By then they can do other things with their time and enjoy it just as much as going house to house.

Yes, I do agree that they grow up too fast but this is one of those times where age makes a difference to me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• if they are in a costume I give candy. I wend TOTing until I was 16 =)
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2009