has anyone who has been put on prometrium 4(progesterone) while pregnant had a healthy baby or miscarried from it..

im 16 weeks and doc wants me to take it and im wondering wwhat its supposed to do for me...i have to take 200mg pill twice a day.. has it harmed anyone whos taken it baby..? does it help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well I had a miscarriage and they gave it to me with my next 3 pregnancies to prevent miscarrige. I still miscarried the 2nd and 3rd times and had a healthy baby the 4th. I guess I don't see how it helped or hurt. I'm now 16 weeks with baby #2 and did not have it with this pregnancy and so far so good. I only took it for the first trimester though so I wonder why they want you to have it at 16 weeks? My doctor asked if I wanted it at my 13 week appt but she said I'd only have it for another week anyways so I said no. My miscarriages were all between 8 and 11 weeks.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 5:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Progesterone is one of the main hormones that keeps you pregnant and baby healthy. If you are not making enough on your own you can suffer miscarriage. I had progesterone shots every week from the moment I found out I was pregnant to week 36 at which time I was considered full term. Your doctor is not going to intentionally give you anything that would harm you or baby. If you don't trust this OB I suggest you find one you do trust. It is after all your life and your baby's life in their hands. Especially when it comes time to deliver. I would hope you trust this person knows what they are doing before then.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I took it with this pregnancy after miscarrying twice. I was on it week 6-14 and so far baby is developing right on track and healthy! I am now 26 weeks along.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I have prometrium sitting on my counter and I never took it but I was told to take it while we were trying to concieve cause I was on clomid and my progesterone levels were a little low. Women miscarry while on it mainly because your body cant have to little progesterone or too much and its hard to tell exactly how much you need on a day to day basis. Over all I have heard not so good storys about the drug and I personally would be very hesitant to take it during my pregnancy. Maybe you can see if there is something else, an alternative. Gl to you
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I dont want you to mistake what I said in my first post not all women miscarry on this drug I was just giving you possible reasons why they might have. The doctor who prescribed me this medicine befor we got pregnant is a wonderful obgyn and even delivered my 1st child, we love her to death but shes only using her best judgment but that doesnt promise you that everything will work out for the best. So I would not want you to think that this is a bad doctor cause they prescribed this to you because this is just what they feel is best. You have to use your owne judgment though and do your own research sometimes when you feel there is something else you need to know. I never used the prometrium and we got pregnant a month after she prescribed it to me and I havent needed any supplements at all with this pregnancy or my first.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I took it to prevent miscarrying. I took it once a day until I was about 12 weeks along.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2009