Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is your school supplying hand sanitizer for the students?

No they are not were my kids go.
I have heard that some schools are.

 
QandA

Asked by QandA at 5:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in

Level 26 (26,827 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • there isnt always time for good hand washing... the school that i work in and my son's school -- yes gallons and gallons!
    AmaliaD

    Answer by AmaliaD at 9:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

  • The local schools in my area have had hand sanitizer in the cafeteria and other places for a couple years now.
    sopheeahsmommy

    Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 6:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • There are several problems with hand sanitizer - alcohol, propylene glycol, killing good bacteria on your hands, not killing viruses, resistant bacteria are a few. There is a new hand sanitizer called Clean Well that may be a better option.
    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 6:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • at the beginning of the school year we send in some as school supplies.
    pagirl71

    Answer by pagirl71 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • Ew, I hate that stuff, its just gross. My children aren't allowed to use them, they can wash their hands and their teachers know how I feel about it.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

  • we send as school supplies but at my kids school now when ANYONE enters the school they have to squirt some on your hands or they do not let you past the office and the minute you walk out the door they spray sanitizer
    shevaughnld

    Answer by shevaughnld at 12:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

  • what happened to using good ol fashioned soap and water? THIS is why we have resistant bacteria. Hand sanitizer does nothing, and is no where near as good as hot water and soap.
    heatherann0221

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 2:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

  • Imagine herding the children into the restrooms mutiple times a day to wash their hands. Many teachers don't even like to let students go to the restroom to actually use it. I doubt those same teachers, or many others, would stop their classes several times a day to go wash up. That is where hand sanitizers come in. And as long as they are not swallowed, they are perfectly safe.
    wildflowers25

    Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

  • And they work just as good as soap and water, my god I am amazed people can find a problem with anything and to be so against fricken hand sanitizer, I mean really?
    PsychMommie

    Answer by PsychMommie at 2:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

  • My school just installed dispensers in all the public places. I make sure all my kids wash their hands at least twice a day. I don't encourage or discourage them to use the sanitizer.


    There are good reasons to be against hand sanitizer. It kills 99% of the bacteria on your skin. And leaves 1% of the very worst bacteria to fester and grow. It's better than nothing if you have no alternative. Bit it doesn't take the place of hand washing which, if done properly, sends 100% of the bacteria down the drain. Soap and water should not be replaced by hand sanitizer.


     I am the only teacher on my team that doesn't make the kids use hand sanitizer (I have it out if they want it). I also have the best attendance in the entire school. I don't think it's just a coincidence.

    MAUREEN55

    Answer by MAUREEN55 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2009