how do I get a tick out of my 5 year old?

When I was taking my son's shirt off to change him I noticed a small tick in his shoulder. I tried to take it out with tweezers but I can't get it out. The head is stuck in his shoulder. Should I try to take it out or bring him to the hospital? And if I take it out how do I do it?

JustinsWife4507

Asked by JustinsWife4507 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take him to the ER right now!
    Trust me!
    If the head is stuck in his shoulder take him in.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 6:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• DO NOT BURN IT!!!!

slather it with vaseline and it will not be able to breathe, in about 2 hours it will work its way back out.
    they breathe through their bodies. once it has backed out, you can safely remove it. if you injure it, it will vomit into your son, and that is how disease is spread. make sure that you do not detach the head when removing it, as it CAN (not always will) continue to bury its self, causing secondary infection and potential disease exposure.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• you should never try to pull it out. i had one in my head when i was a kid...my dad put a lighter up to it's butt n he grabbed it when it backed itself out. but now that you already pulled the butt off do what sopheeahsmommy said...TAKE HIM TO THE ER!
    excited2bemommy

Answer by excited2bemommy at 6:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• (he did not burn it...he just put the lighter close enough to where the thing felt very uncomfortable.)
    excited2bemommy

Answer by excited2bemommy at 6:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• This is from a website called pestproducts.com

Most health professionals agree that smothering ticks with petroleum jelly, finger nail polish or other such substances do little to reduce chances of infection or contracting disease. A tick that is coated or smothered still has enough oxygen to live long enough to continue its feeding. It is during this feeding that transmission of organisms takes place. More drastic measures such as burning the tick or killing it with a sharp object can actually increase chances of more fluids being released into the tick's host.

Attached ticks can be removed using small tipped tweezers. Grasping the tick as close to the skin as possible will give you a better chance of removing the tick whole. Ticks can excrete substances that help the pest adhere to its host and they also have mouthparts that help them to hang on their host as they feed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• When my DS had one in his head when he was 2 the doctor at the urgent care laughed at me for freaking out and bringing him in. That said, soak a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol put it on the tick and twist it out.
    Anonymous

• cont.

Holding the tick with your tweezers, slowly but firmly pull the tick away from the skin. If you have health concerns of any kind you can release the tick into a container of alcohol. The container should be labeled with any information that could be helpful to medical professionals. This information can include date, location or other related facts including the victim's name, age, etc.
    Once you have removed the tick from skin and the tick has been disposed of or placed in a container, wash your hands as well as the tweezers or any other object the tick (or fluids from the tick) may have contacted. Objects used to remove or dispose of ticks as well as the sight of the tick bite should be disinfected.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• If the head is left in you have nothing to worry about. Keep neosporin on the site and watch it. If the head is left in the body will do it's job and reject by pushing it out as it heals. Wort case scenario the site gets infected and you will need to go get a stronger antibiotic cream.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Olive oil. Just put a drop of olive oil on the tick and it will pull it's head out. Dab some alcohol on it, or wash the spot with soap, and use whatever dressing you usually use. Watch it, and keep it clean. If you notice any redness or swelling, go to your doctor.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 9:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2009