help with nursing

my 19 month old decided last night to stop nursing so i am a little engorged we were down to two feedings a day the morning and at night.. should i pump or just let it go? i dont want to be in to much pain or any lol not sure what to do? im happy she wanted to stop nursing but didnt think it would be so abrupt... help

briannamama

Asked by briannamama at 6:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not a breast-feeding mom, but knowing that toddlers change their minds all the time, I'd pump and see if she continues NOT to nurse. Freeze it for back-up in case she gets sick this season. But then again, I'm a "saver" of all sorts of things, so I hope you get some more advice, LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• you could probably just pump enough to where the hurting isnt so bad. but u dont want to do it enough to where u keep the milk coming in just start out slow and go slower and slower...until there's nothing left.
    excited2bemommy

Answer by excited2bemommy at 6:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• try to pump about half whenever its uncomfortable, that's what I did when mine decided to stop. It took me about a week and a half to stop.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• LOL. Yeah, sometimes they are just done. Most women who have nursed for over a year find their kid can go a day or two and come back to it with zero effects. Your supply isn't immediately affected. Mine went two days, then came back to it. I just hand expressed some to relieve discomfort.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• my daughter did the same exact thing DO NOT PUMP at ALL! I lactated for almost a year after she stopped. Because I'd just do alittle to stop the pain.... Is what I notcied try to stay away from pomegrantes and cranberry anything. it helps lactation, instead go buy a cabbage and boil it then freze it. I would freeze each large leaf in indavidual ziplocks... Wehn ur breasts start to hurt and get engourged, put a frozen leaf on each breast until defrosted. there is something in cabbage the stop the milk ducts production and dries it up. Hope this is helpful.
    Lindsey aka Duckie
    lovemynutterbut

Answer by lovemynutterbut at 1:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2009