How do you discipline an infant?

I have a 9 month old daughter and I was wondering when do you start teaching them right from wrong? I tell her no but she just looks at me with a blank stare. Am I supposed to discipline her this early on? If so, how?

msfila1980

Asked by msfila1980 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you start now, you won't have issues down the road. Last night, my 13 month old was fighting bed time. I said "lay down and hold your monkey." She did. Discipline isn't punishment. It is the method of TEACHING right from wrong. No books needed. If she's hitting, hold her hands, look her in the eye, say "gentle hands only" and then show her how to stroke your arm, or pet a stuffed animal. You don't just redirect from an inappropriate action - you direct TOWARDS an appropriate action. You praise when she does something sweet, even little things. "I love that your hands are so gentle!" "I bet kitty likes it when you stroke her fur." If you wait until she's a toddler, you're going to have mess on your hands. Teach now, as long as you recognize punishment isn't necessary, especially at this age.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• now why would u discipline an infant?? she isnt even old enough to understand whats rite and wrong. wait until shes at least a toddler
    Butterflykiss15

Answer by Butterflykiss15 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• At that age, redirection works best. At that age they dont understand what no means yet. The sound of your voice and facial expression she is picking up on. When she is doing something you dont want, pick her up or move her to another location and activity. She will begin to get very busy now, so be on your toes. Cleaning supplies etc, and valuables are best out of reach. They get into stuff so quick.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• you dont you they are way too young. they dont understand redirect. i didnt start disclipine till my dd was about 18 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• You need to start reading some parenting books. Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary is a good one.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• She's a little young, but you can start small, say she's getting into something she shouldn't....tell her "No" firmly and move her away from the item. Do it every time she gets into it, and she will eventually learn.
    Anonymous

• OP, google redirection discipline, it will tell you how to do it... The baby may not be able to redirect themselves but you can, and yes you will have to do it often just like with any form of discipline.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Start now. Redirection and modified time outs. Teach them the rules NOW and you won't have so much trouble later when they're used to doing whatever the hell they want.

You don't need to read any books. Parents today read too many damn books and too much on the web. You have common sense, use it. You know what the eventual goal is for your kid's behavior, you should always be working towards that goal, not letting it go until a certain point and then try to make the kid change its ways.
    Anonymous

• That's a bit young.
    Anonymous

• I have an 8 month old and I tell her no.
    Of course she doesnt understand yet. But I think it's good to get into the habit of saying 'no, that's dangerous' or 'no, be gentle' etc
    If she grows up with that then she will likely understand it sooner.
    I mean you're not going to spank her and sit her in the corner lol, I know that's not what you meant :)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2009