Is shopping at Sam's Club worth it? My parents shopped their when we were kids, all 5 of us, but only have two kids. Would the savings be worth it to me?

Asked by jercee at 3:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Food & Drink

• It really depends on what you'll buy there. I would suggest writing down the prices (unit prices especially) of the things you usually buy elsewhere that you could get at Sams (toiletries, paper goods, food). Then go to the courtesy desk & tell them you want a one day pass. You can shop there that day but you have to pay 10 or 15% over their prices. Take the opportunity to go in and write down THEIR prices (unit prices especially!). Then go home and do the math. Figure out which place has cheaper for which things, and how much the difference in price for the same amounts would be. Figure out how much you would need those items (for instance how often would you need to buy a thing of bulk paper towels?) for ONE YEAR. Compare that to the membership price. Then you'll know if it's worth it for you.

My husband and I go there, and we have one child (with one on the way) and we found out our membership more than pays for itself each year!

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 3:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i think it's worth it. i'll but the stuff we will always need. like toilet paper, laundry detergent, dish soap, etc. etc

Answer by dannersmell at 4:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• It's worth it for the things you use A LOT... like toilet paper or frozen foods. Otherwise, you can pretty much get the same savings by shopping at WalMart.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• We have two kids, and the savings is totally worth it. We shop at Costco (similar to Sams Club). I think in diapers and toilet paper alone, the membership would be well worth it.

Answer by quinnbee21 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• No...I call it the hundred dollar store.....I never come out of ther spending less than a hundred think oh look I'm gonna need that and although you dont need it at the time you buy it anyways and so to me it's not worth it!!!

Answer by shortagirl at 3:14 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I agree the first post. It depends on what you are getting. If you have a huge freezer, then you can get garlic bread, frozen veggies or fresh meat for large amount with great deal. Other than that, you can get juices, crackers etc... for great price. But it is really for big family or party shopper. My ex loves to shop there and we got diapers and wipes for the then babies, and nothing much to get because it just too much and not enough space.

Answer by yoshiki56 at 4:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I have two kids, and I'd bet that the amount we save annually only adds up to about the same as the membership fee. There are some good deals there on bulk items, but really you can get about the same savings at Wal-Mart and you won't have to buy such huge quantities. Some stuff actually comes out cheaper at Wal-Mart if you calculate the per-unit price. The fresh meat and frozen chicken is a good deal if you have a big enough freezer, though.
    If you're looking to save on food, check out this group:

Answer by Cadreysmom at 11:02 AM on Jul. 17, 2008