Who thinks this is silly?

At my sons school you are ONLY allowed to bring in store-bought treats. Nothing homemade! I love to bake and cook, and feel like these children are missing out. I understand the issues with allergies- but you can make sure that homemade treats have nothing in them the kids could be allergic to. Does anyone else's school have this policy? Do you think it's silly?

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 6:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in

• On the surface it seems silly but really there are allergies and then there is the fact that you have no idea what goes on in someone else's kitchen. I'm sure you do just fine since you love to bake but others might not be very clean or honestly these days you never know about people. Some are absolute whack jobs. Unless I know someone very well, me and my children don't eat what they make.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I worked in schools for a while before being a SAHM. Those regulations were instated for numerous reasons. And they even couldn't bring in snacks (we are talking daily snacks, not at holidays) that the first 3 ingredients could not be sugar. Due to obesity and wanting to encourage healthy eating habbits. Sucks but understandable.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Oh, I understand the sugar thing! I wanted to make something healthy and yummy- like banana bread for halloween.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• the schools in my city have that rule

I think its more so because at least in an unopened box of treats you can read ingredients
    on hoomemade...their just taking your word and if something happens to someones kid...well then the school would be held responsible rather than the maker of food
    Anonymous

• At my sons school we aren't allowed to bring ANY kind of sweets. Only healthy foods, such as apples...oragnes...juice...ect. It sucks! I remember when we had little parties at my school when I was little and we got a ton of candy! I loved it! LOL
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 6:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I have heard of that rule before.
    Anonymous

• I think it's one of a great many ridiculous and expensive 'rules' that schools make up trying to solve one problem and creating 10 more in the process.

One of the great many reasons neither of my kids went to school until they entered college.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• ALLERGIES!!!! and honestly...do you want your kid eating out of everyone elses home?! i dont....i like to bake and all to, and i think not being allowed to bring in personal snacks is a bit much..but for parties, yeppp..store bought..same for halloween treats..you wouldnt let your kid eat something that wasnt individually wrapped in a store wrapper would you?!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• i think its this way at most schools...there was a child that brought in some cupcakes in my area a few years back and almost everyone in the class got food poisoning so i'm sure this could be another reason for only bringing in store bought items.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• My son eats homemade treats all the time, and I do let him eat home made treats during halloween- I eat them too! I think parents are just too paranoid nowadays. I decided to buy cupcakes from a friend of mine that owns a bakery, and she let me help make the special treats (got a discount because of it!) Kind of a way of getting around the system- I know how they were made- no artificial preservatives or colors, and it has a label.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2009