pagans? and Christians if you want

I am very careful to stay out of post that say "pagans" or "athesit" but now I am puzzled so I would like a few answers.

Why are a few of you upset that Christian converts kept some of their traditions and symbol? Borrowing, stealing, using or getting an idea from someone else is as old as time and as new as tomorrow. Radio show host admit they listen to other stations around the world to grab ideas for their shows, teachers will see work from young kids and put it in their curriculum. When I was a bakery manager, I routinely went to other stores to grab ideas on display and food.

The majority of Christians I know are able to admit pagans and Christians used horrible tactics that include torture on converts. Most are willing to admit some symbols and traditions came before Christians (or Jesus Christ to be exact) why are you bothered so much?
*Christians, you can answer this from a reverse view if you want

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because most Christians refuse to admit that a lot of their traditions were taken from the pagan,

BS!!! MOST Christians know EXACTLY what the roots are

What pagans used torture to get people to convert?

It was too keep them from converting. I would suggest getting a GOOD accurate documents that isn't biased to one side or the other. You will see torture was very universal. There are several definitions that define pagan. One definition is anyone that is neither Jewish or Christian. Another is one that believes in more than one God. Take your pick of either of these both will fit the early Romans--- and then find out about Christians being fed to the lions. You might want to get a little information on the early days when Christians were forced to have underground worship. Hope you find information. Oh, many pagans on cafemom tend to ignore this so don't take my word or any mom on cafemom word for it. Look deeper.
    Anonymous

• Because most Christians refuse to admit that a lot of their traditions were taken from the pagan, that is why I get annoyed. What pagans used torture to get people to convert? Not familiar with that.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• I was christian for 34 yrs and not once was it ever discussed where the ancient holidays/symbols/etc. came from other than it was a christian deal.

So I dont think many either know or admit it.

In truth, doesnt bug me. I really dont care....I celebrate and enjoy the time with my family and symbols or how it all came to be is the last thing I worry about.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

Not looking into your own religion is kind of your own fault right? Or were you expecting to be spoon fed and not able to research? If your church didn't allow you to research you should have went to a church that allowed free will---Like God said we have.
    Anonymous

• Why are a few of you upset that Christian converts kept some of their traditions and symbol?
    I'm not upset at any persons from today converting to Christianity but keeping hold of certain traditions or symbols that are important to them.
    What bothers me are the Christians who have been nothing but that for their whole lives who try to pretend that Santa, Christmas trees, yule logs etc etc have anything to do with the birth of Jesus. The whole attitude of "Jesus is the reason for the season" is what gets to me. Educate yourself on the history of Christmas and you will find that Jesus has become the reason for the season for some. But traditionally the reason for the season had nothing to do with Jesus and for many many people STILL has nothing to do with Jesus.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• anon 08
    You are correct that the Pagans of biblical times did use torture. However, it is also true that the Christians of that time were actually called Pagans because the term Pagan has been used to describe those who are not normal. As Christianity became the dominate religion Christians then used the term for those who were not like them.

In any case, there are several different kinds of Pagans and the early Romans do not fit under the term Neo-Pagan which is what most American Pagans are today.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Educate yourself on the history of Christmas and you will find that Jesus has become the reason for the season for some

THIS is what upsets me! the ignorant assumption that Christians are not educated. It seems to me the education is running just as short on the other side...

I KNOW not everyone is Christians. I also know that there are SOME that Jesus IS the reason for the season.
    Anonymous

• In any case, there are several different kinds of Pagans and the early Romans do not fit under the term Neo-Pagan which is what most American Pagans are today.

oh I am sorry. did I use the word Neo-Pagan? did I say it was the ancestor of what most American pagans are today?

Please disregard any of those statements I supposed said and only read the ones where I made it clear Christians were just AS tortured for their beliefs.
    Anonymous

• Outstanding Love (or anyone) - can you help me understand:

....I always learned that Santa Clause was based on St. Nicholas (a Catholic Saint).

Is there an older pagan reference to him that I never learned?

Thanks
    Anonymous

• I am starting to see a lot of ignorance on the part of pagans and their obsession of denial to the real facts. It seems like reading between the lines the answer to the question is they like to holler and act persecuted.

Thanks for your answers ladies, it seems like a real class on real history will help clear up your ignorance. But I don't think you all want the truth. Please don't take information you read on cafemom as real accurate information. Do the research for yourself. And the internet is not always true.

I got my answer so I will close the question. I will continue to stay out of pagans questions as I have been taught since my early Christian days to respect others.

Anonymous